• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help deciding on a amp

9deuce

Jan 6, 2014
THAT LAKESIDEBOSS
:unsure:hello guys and gals ive got a bearcat 980 ssb... looking to get an amp for it due to the amps used in my area i cant even get out till dark... i was talking to a guy last night who gave me some info on models of amps to get but i wanna ask here first before i make the purcase.... maybe some of you guys have tried these and know of them and can tell witch would be my best bet... ive got a pyramid PSU at 30amps here are the amps

RM KL-203 with SSB
TC-300 with SSB
BJ-300 with SSB

ive seen RM amps talked about on this site and others ppl say there great...
its what the guy was runing last night and said he loves it and it does the job... then he said his brother runs a TC-300 and he loves it too...

can anyone help me decide witch is best bet :confused:

yes i know its illegal so dont post bit***** msg about this but any ways thnx

Your best bet is a Texas Star 350 or a X Force TNT 350. The RM/KLV amps will blow quick if even SLIGHTLY abused and the two I mentioned can be overdriven/overheated badly and keep going and going and going and going.

Your best bet is a Texas Star 350 or a X Force TNT 350. The RM/KLV amps will blow quick if even SLIGHTLY abused and the two I mentioned can be overdriven/overheated badly and keep going and going and going and going.

:eek:wow that MF200 is nice amp and is the range i like looks like a well built amp

I don't worry about blowing up KL203's because they are so cheap. That being said, I have one of the "P" models (has a preamp), and it works great with a mildly tuned Grant XL. Very clean output on SSB, and does about 140 watts. I received an email response from RM Italy that claims these amps are Class A/B biased, and from the reports I get, I believe it. I picked mine up on sale last year from H+Y for 50 bucks on sale. They aren't as cheap now. Put a fan on it, keep the rig's output power down, and go to town. Nothing wrong with the other amps listed, and if you resell, you'll get more money for them. But for bang for the buck, that little KL203 is hard to beat.

RT307

I never had a 203, but always liked them. I know couple of guys that run them and have no issues. Like anything abuse it and lose it, but treat it right and it will last. I have to agree with RT307. The are truly the best bang for the dollar.

As for the others you mentioned I don't even know what they are. Whats a tc-300 and bj-300

Oh, and when you upgrade, and you will, that little 203 would make a great driver:D

The real power levels of the RM amps if you give a toss about splattering are about half to three quarters of what they claim. Once you get above 150W or so the distortion and IMD becomes quite bad.

Two key words here are important:

1) Overdriving - stay within the amp's input watt specs. If not; it will sound distorted and likely cause it to burn up. It's your money.
2) Expectations - these amps are cheaply made; almost disposable. Just because you see a lot of watts coming out, by no means think that they are clean/'real' watts. If someone says they get xx more watts than you do because he puts more watts in it; so what? Read #1 again

Reactions: 1 person

I'll agree with this. get a texas star (without variable if you can), stick fans on it, and keep it on 2 (out of 4) 90% of the time and you'll have an amp that you'll always have, and always be glad you bought.
mines 28 years old and I'll never sell it.

I am running a KL503 "now that I fixed disabled the pre-driver" its working good with no complaints of splatter. I am running a low pass filter as well. sucks that I had to fix a new amp but it is working now..

my friend has a KL203 because he don't have an account this is what he thinks of his.
I own a KL203. Its a pretty decent cheap amp. It works fairly well for the price, and gives a bit of extra punch. Sound clarity is decent, and it extends my range especially on SSB to almost double stock. It's not going to win any awards, but I'm happy with its performance for amateur/entry level equipment. It draws about 7 amps for me..... I'm using a computer power supply with it, and it does what I need it to.

The real power levels of the RM amps if you give a toss about splattering are about half to three quarters of what they claim. Once you get above 150W or so the distortion and IMD becomes quite bad.

I have heard a lot of these reports but I have two KL-203's and they have worked well and also a KL-503 that does more than 150 watts and none of them add or subtract anything from my audio. I do agree that they can not be abused as someone has already stated cause I have smoked several also.

roger roger fellaz i might just get 2 amps and test both

1.xforce mf200
2.RM KL203p

ive got 2 radios

Uniden PC687,Uniden Bearcat 980

gonna throw them both on 2 and a half watt dead key and do some testing BTW do any of you guys know if a 120mm fan will fit on the top of the 203p?

thnx for the reply fellaz have a great day and god bless

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.