• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help Identifying Transistor

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
I acquired a huge lot of radios from a school district that was completely redoing their entire communications system. About 30 of the radios have these two Transistors in them:

http://prntscr.com/4kennw

And I have 10 base stations that have these in them:

http://prntscr.com/4keor5

I recognize the second ones because they are the same that these super cheap BJ200 watt linear amps use in them. But I cant find any info on the ones in the first pic. Does anyone know anything about them or if they would be good for homebrew amp work?

What were the radios?
VHF/UHF?
If you have the make/model number of the radios it will help.
Some of the older MRF numbers are hard to find data sheets for.
Another Idea is to give RF Parts in san marcos, CA a call and ask them....if anyone would know, they will, they sell every Motorola Transistor under the sun and then some.

Jeff

They were VHF radios from my understanding.

The 10 Base stations that have the M1104 chip I am looking for information on are Mitrek and Model number on back is T83JJA3900BK.

The T stands for Trunk Mount
8 Stands for 100 to 150 watts
3 stands for 132 to 174 MHz
JJ is the model series
A is the primary voltage, in this case, 12 volts DC
3 is the type of Squelch, in this case motorola PL ( private line) or Select
9 stands for 4 TX channels and 4 RX channels
B stands for the version number
K stands for a Package model with a Microphone
These would most likely make some nice 2 meter repeaters if converted properly.

Jeff

Weird that these are the same Transistors used in this BJ200w Linear amps and being advertised for 2-30mhz use.

The other radios I have are PSX SE with a GE Electrics symbol. Says Mobile Communications on front. No model Number but I see a N5P10 above the serial number and then it says general electric N.P. 280927.

I also have some Motorola Maxtrac Model# D43MJA7304BK and D43TLA7D00AK. I have tons of these things and they all have some great clean insides. Id like to take all the Transistors out and use for homebrew amps. Im just curious how they used something

There are transistors that work in the VHF range that will also work HF frequencies.

The MRF 492 is a Transistor that was used in HF amps back in the day and it was also rated @ 70 watts @ 50 MHz I would have to look at a data sheet to see how far the gain drops as the frequency goes up. The gain will go up as frequency decreases and will go down as frequency rises.
Another one is the Motorola mrf 497, rated at 50 MHz it was designed to be used in VHF FM radios, and works well in the HR 2510/2600/Lincoln radios.
It is really getting hard to find data sheets for older transistors, I just looked and RF Parts still sells the M9583 for $13.50 each plus shipping so they are not that valuable per se each, but you might get more for the whole radios and use that $$ to get some more popular HF transistors like 1446`s or 492`s or ??
If you want to pull a couple and have a old amp sitting around with no transistors in it to see what you get just for the sake of experimenting go for it.
You will have to play with input/output tuning I am sure but if they are free, what you got to lose?

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.