• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP---Maco V58 swr adjustment.

Cat Driver

Feb 2, 2007
Lake of The Ozarks
:idea: If putting the antenna an mast together on ground can you ck/set the swr without the radials on, or do they hafta be on to ck/set it?

It would be alot easier to get the whole thing up on the roof first without the radials on it if possible.

I'm old, tired an haven't got any help to speak of :cry: so I'm trying to figure out the easeist way to get this job done.

Thanx Guys,
Ronnie :D

it tends to help to have help with those :( you need to have the ground plane on those in order to adjust for SWR , the whole antenna tends to need at least 10 feet of clearance from the roof and all around it , if you are using a push up pole you can then raise it so far after your adjustments are made and check the SWR , it will usually change slightly from the lowest point to the 10 to 20 foot mark of hight, SWR tends to drop in from that point. If your only using a mast on that antenna I would guess to say it would make it harder on you in the tuning department, the antenna needs breathing room from anything around it.

a push up pole would make the job a whole lot easier on those for SWR as well as for the installer (You) . Working with single masts can be problem for one person concerning the Alpha V-5/8. Hang in there CD , IM sure you'll get there in time and that is also a excellent choice for a antenna.

i used a 3ft tri-pod and a 8-10ft pice of pipe.then got a ladder
climbed up and made adjustments.this was with a anylizer though.im sure ya could do it with a swr meter ya probaly want someone to run the swr meter/radio so ya wouldnt have to climb up/down the ladder.,if ya have a nice size yard
assemble it and stand it up away from biuldings .ect anything beats the up/down until its there.i got friends that are hams
they do thier beams this way for obious reasons so im sure this will work for a gp antenna

Ronnie,
Trying to tune only 'half' an antenna is like trying to tune an engine with only a few of the cylinders firing. Not exactly the best idea in the world. So, yes, the radials need to be on the antenna when you tune it. Getting it up onto the house is a different story, sort of. Whisper, "Beer...Food...Dallas CowGirls". You might be suprised how much help you get. ;)
- 'Doc

So you lied about the food...

W5LZ said:
Ronnie,
Trying to tune only 'half' an antenna is like trying to tune an engine with only a few of the cylinders firing. Not exactly the best idea in the world. So, yes, the radials need to be on the antenna when you tune it. Getting it up onto the house is a different story, sort of. Whisper, "Beer...Food...Dallas CowGirls". You might be suprised how much help you get. ;)
- 'Doc

So you lied about the food...

I'll settle for the beer and girls be right over... LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.