• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help needed buying a Oscilliscope

jtrouter

Jul 7, 2015
Hello,
As i am now retired and find myself getting back to electronics and radios and such , I am looking to add a oscilliscope to my workbench. I want to be able to work on CB radio repairs and restore them. Mostly tube
radios but some solid state. From what little i have been able to figure out the scope needs to be 30Mhz or better. Other than that i am clueless. I was looking at buying a used one from Ebay but i really do not want to gamble on thowing money away so i have been looking at one of the digital ones that use either my laptop.
So i would like to post a link to the model i am thinking of buying and if one of you who would know if it will fill my need and if not could you please tell me what i need to look for. Actually i have found two scopes that i
really like and will post them below. Thank you for reading and look forward to what you guys say.

1st Loto OSCA02L
2nd YEAPOOK ADS1013D

The Yaepook looks interesting, I bought a Hantek 2C42 handheld Oscilloscope/DMM a couple of years ago.

Do i need to go up to 100Mhz? Is 35Mhz not enough? What do i gain or reasons why 100Mhz would be better other than its a higher end unit?

For HF radio work, I'd recommend an older, good quality, analog scope of, at minimum, 100 MHz bandwidth. There were a couple places online that sold used test equipment that had been tested and verified to work. I'm sure those places still exist.

This short video will explain why your scope should have much more bandwidth than the signals you intend to look at. W2AEW explains it much better than I can.

just get an old school reliable analog 100mhz tektronix scope. its all you need for basic hf radio repair/work. i have an excellent condition tektronix 465b thats been restored and calibrated i would let go for a reasonable price. i dont want or need it. just a thought. anyway 100mhz or higher is what you need and remember, you get what you pay for with oscilloscopes. especially with digital scopes, trust me.

this seller is reputable, but full disclosure i've never bought from them myself.

they have been around on ebay for a long time and seem to refurbish and calibrate the scopes they sell.

here is a very good scope for radio work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165247085461?hash=item26797e6b95:g:0NwAAOSwLvFhw3Es

yes, you're going to pay more than many other sellers on ebay are offering them for, but buying a scope from someone that does not know what they are is a big big gamble.
especially for a first scope purchase.
LC

this seller is reputable, but full disclosure i've never bought from them myself.

they have been around on ebay for a long time and seem to refurbish and calibrate the scopes they sell.

here is a very good scope for radio work:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165247085461?hash=item26797e6b95:g:0NwAAOSwLvFhw3Es

yes, you're going to pay more than many other sellers on ebay are offering them for, but buying a scope from someone that does not know what they are is a big big gamble.
especially for a first scope purchase.
LC
i can vouch for this ebay seller as well (shorewa8). i have bought three scopes from him plus misc accessories and it all was perfect. he doesn't hesitate to talk with you and help you if need be as well. side note, he knows what he is doing on the calibration and refurb, spot on. forget the cheap $150 china digital's and go tek analog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.