• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help needed - KL503HD DK 160 watts with 2 watt Radio DK?

I run a bit less DK for DK out of the amp at 75-80 I see 200-250 Pep on my DAIWA CN-901 HP3 which I consider more of an indication than a true PEP reading. But I don't see any increase in DC amp draw from DK to PEP. So you do see the amps go up to about 35w at PEP? What meter do you use?
Thanks,

Kl says use output setting of amp set at lower than max to keep amp working for you. I use setting #4 on mine with 8 watts dead key from a 5555N11 Radio with PEP of 250-300 watts with around 35 watts modulation on a Dosy meter (new). All my reports say loud and clear and talk good about 40 miles away using Ground plan antenna 30 ft in air. Been using 503HD now for almost a year no problems.

Reactions: Mustang950
the 503HD uses from 5-35 watts to drive it. I use dead key of 8 watts and get around 90 watts dead key Pep is around 35 watts input and 250-300 watts output with 1.2SWR. Also I'm using a 5555N11 radio to drive it. My 980 uniden doesn't drive to good with a 3.5 watt dead key and low modulation. I also use a D104 power mike desk top.
Robert, I too have a 5555N11 radio and a KL503HD amp. I am using a Maco V58 with low SWR. Power supply is a Powermax PM4-120 and 4 gauge cables going from the PSU to the amp so it should be getting plenty of juice.

I do get the expected power levels from the amp itself when driving it with lower power, it's just the quality of the modulation goes to hell. The radio was purchase from and tuned by Scott's so I highly doubt that is the source of the trouble.

I am having a hard time hitting the sweet spot with dead key, modulation level, mic, etc. I'm told my modulation is very choppy and very nearly indecipherable. I've used the stock mic, D104 silver eagle and currently a Zatagi MB+5. I've been trying modulation levels all the way from 20 to 36 on the radio and about 3 to full blast on the Zatagi with minimal difference.

Are the settings you mentioned on your combo still working well for you? What modulation level (0-36) are you using on the radio?

Hello all,
I need help with a new 503HD. It DK keys at 160 watts with a 2 watt radio DK.
- I'm using a DAWIA 901HP meter set on Peak 200w or 2000w setting.
- No indication of swing.
- Radios used; K-PO DX5000 plus set at 2w DK (tried with 1-4w DK results the same), swings to 18-20w on my meter. Uniden 980 slight modulation adjustment, 2w DK, swings to 8-10 w. The results are the same for both radios=160w DK out of the AMP with no indicated swing.
- Using the 980 with a KL203 results in 25w DK out of amp with Peak of 110w with meter in peak/hold. SO this tells me the meter should function to indicate swing with the 503.

Any ideas why the 503 DK is so high out of the amp with a 2 W DK in?
The amp is new/received it a few days ago.
I will be contacting the seller later in the day.
Thank in advance for any assistance.
David
Use your KL503HD with selector switch around the 3 or 4 setting less dead key but lots more swing out of box , been using mine for around 2 years now. I drive with a 5555N11 set at 8 watts dead key and kl set at number 3 position and I get 250-275 watts out of it and sounds very good & strong using ground plane KL dead key is around 40-45 watts

Reactions: Mustang950
Robert, I too have a 5555N11 radio and a KL503HD amp. I am using a Maco V58 with low SWR. Power supply is a Powermax PM4-120 and 4 gauge cables going from the PSU to the amp so it should be getting plenty of juice.

I do get the expected power levels from the amp itself when driving it with lower power, it's just the quality of the modulation goes to hell. The radio was purchase from and tuned by Scott's so I highly doubt that is the source of the trouble.

I am having a hard time hitting the sweet spot with dead key, modulation level, mic, etc. I'm told my modulation is very choppy and very nearly indecipherable. I've used the stock mic, D104 silver eagle and currently a Zatagi MB+5. I've been trying modulation levels all the way from 20 to 36 on the radio and about 3 to full blast on the Zatagi with minimal difference.

Are the settings you mentioned on your combo still working well for you? What modulation level (0-36) are you using on the radio?
D104 set to o and radio on 31 mike gain, check freq of your channel could be off freq , not hard to do with this radio put on channel you want and hit freq button if wrong dial in correct frq and then back to channel button

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.