• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help on Setup

josh08

May 14, 2011
Ky
I'm just getting started with CB's and I'm looking for more information on a setup.

CB's I'm Considering:
Cobra 29
Uniden PC78 Pro Elite

Maybe a Galaxy DX-959

Antenna's:
Wilson 5000
Predator 10k with a Tram Triple Mag Mount

It will be mounted on a 93 Chevy K1500. Any information anyone can provide me with is greatly appreciated.

All very good choices but the nuts and bolts are what counts and the uniden is a great cb but if you like ssb go with the galaxy and you won't go wrong with either antenna choice but my choice would be the wilson.

X2 on the Wilson, there just isn't any real justification for all the extra bulk of the big coil antennas in my mind except power handling.

Is Sparkys CB Shack a good place to order from? What would be the best way to power this setup? Would the Lighter Plug be the best option?

You get a good deal there and I would run a wire directly to the vehicles battery with an inline fuse of coarse and add an additional fuse at the battery.

I was also considering a 102" whip. Is their a better place to order from? Does Sparkys do a good align and tune? I was also considering the EC 2018 Xtreme mic. Is that a good choice? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I was also considering a 102" whip. Is their a better place to order from? Does Sparkys do a good align and tune? I was also considering the EC 2018 Xtreme mic. Is that a good choice? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

I wouldn't mount a 102" steel whip on that Tram mag mount. It won't work, as that antenna needs to see real ground (as I recently found out). The Wilson 1000 mag mount is a fine choice that you cannot go wrong with, even if you were considering running a small linear amp in the future.

The 2018Xtreme is a great choice too, if you must have echo and talk back. Even with those features turned off, the mic itself sounds outstanding for a mobile mic. Used to have one. I'd recommend it.

As far as Sparky tuning/aligning the radio, he has a reputation to keep up and support. So, chances are that he will make it right.

I wouldn't mount a 102" steel whip on that Tram mag mount. It won't work, as that antenna needs to see real ground (as I recently found out). The Wilson 1000 mag mount is a fine choice that you cannot go wrong with, even if you were considering running a small linear amp in the future.

If I mounted the 102" whip on the back bumper, or in the bed would it be better than one of the Wilsons? Is their a small linear amp you would recommend that is reasonably priced? Is their a better mic than the 2018 that you would recommend? Thanks for the help.

An antenna that below the highest point of the vehicle is being compromised. I would NEVER mount one on the bumper. I run all of my antennas on the top of the roof - where it uses all of the vehicle below it to propagate the transmission efficiently.

The bumper would workgood or the bed railing.Just get some heavyduty mirrow mounts for the bedrail and a ballmount for the bumper.

Photo0826.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_0325_1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Taco1-2.jpg

Great advice from all here. I would go with the 959 and a wilson mag mount on the roof. As for an amp for starters I would look at copper electronics and their RM Italy KL203 at $70 it will give about 90 watts AM and 120-130 SSB. Sparky does peak and tune and so does copper but I would trust sparky more.

if ya just want am only save money and get the uniden
if ya want ssb get the galaxy 959
all 3 choices for antenna are good get the one that suits your install
the 2018 xtreme mic is the best ya get and ive tried all the astatics
mics back in the daywhen they had alot to choose from.
a very close second is the skythumper 65dx its noise canselling
and has no echeo.far as amps a texas star 250hdv would match
either radio well. as long as both radios were left pretty much stock
spakys would be a good choice and everything listed here u can
get at sparkys pretty sure

Great advice from all here. I would go with the 959 and a wilson mag mount on the roof. As for an amp for starters I would look at copper electronics and their RM Italy KL203 at $70 it will give about 90 watts AM and 120-130 SSB. Sparky does peak and tune and so does copper but I would trust sparky more.

Can you tell me what would need to be done or changed to run the KL203? Would I have to lower the DK? If so what would I need to do?

Last edited:
Those palomar lines are pretty decent too and cheap. or go with the Texas Star's if ya wanna work the Bowl go with Competition amps like Davemade, Xforce, etc.... I had a KLV203 in a trade, keyed up my JcPenny stock radio and it went poof in 2 secs. Bad experience for me never getting another one, Sticking with 2290's and 2879's.... 959 and Wilson 5000 mag is a great combo. Good luck.... James.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.