• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help! swr changes when moving mic around

patrick96814

Oct 2, 2008
I have a Cobra CB in my car and am trying to match it to a Radio Shack magnetic mount center loaded antenna.
I have a external SWR meter hooked up between the radio and antenna.
The problem is when I transmit to get a reading and move my microphone around at the same time, the SWR reading changes, going from nearly zero when I pull the mic far from the radio to over 2.5 when I move it back.
So does anyone know what is causing this? I checked all the antenna connectors and they are not loose. My only guess left is my mic cable?

I'm guessing here: the radio chassis is not well grounded. The antenna is looking for some sort of counterpoise, which it sees when you stretch the mike cable out.

I'm guessing here: the radio chassis is not well grounded. The antenna is looking for some sort of counterpoise, which it sees when you stretch the mike cable out.

That is an interesting idea. Though the antenna is on the roof of my van so I thought that would have served as the ground plane.
How would I ground the radio in the car? It is a Cobra 148gtl, coincidently the same as the pic in this forum topic header pic. I am powering it through the cigarette lighter plug.

does the swr change when you move your coax around ?

You know, I didn't try that. I plan on trying it later today.
What would it mean if it did change?

SWR changes because the 'antenna' changes in some way. If moving the mic around makes it change, then it's a pretty safe bet that there's a connection not made correctly somewhere. First guess would be a ground that contributes to isolating the feed line/antenna from the rest of the stuff that ain't 'right'. Where? Beats me, lots of possibilities. First guess would be radio grounding. Sort of isolating what's inside that box or connected to that box (mic) from the feed line/antenna system. [Ain't THAT gonna be fun?]
Good luck!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.