• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with a boat?

Bearcat

Oct 25, 2015
My Tech has a Tempo 1 for $350 is this a good rig? Or are they known for issues? Thanks in advance

Tempo 1's are not bad little rigs...There were a couple versions Whiteface/Blackface...The Blackface are the new versions...Remember this is a tube rig. There will be learning curve in tuning her up for each band until you get use to it.
They will do about 100-125 watts on each band.The receiver is not bad either.
Good Starter rig IMHO...All the tubes are still available and they are not bad to work on if something dies.
Few items...Did your guy just go thru this radio and it is in good working condition on all bands?
This rig has a external Speaker and Power supply combo...Good working condition?
The $350 price tag it should Look Good and Play 100%...
Had many of these over the years...
One other thing...Does it have the 10m crystals INSTALLED...Those radios worked on 11m but you had to remove the 10m crystals and retune those stages...
I would say check this in most cases as the 10m section is a must for Tech/General operation.
My 2 cents worth
All the Best
Gary

Attachments

• Henry_-_Tempo_One[1].jpg
    Henry_-_Tempo_One[1].jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Temp 1's are not bad little rigs...There were a couple versions Whiteface/Blackface...The Blackface are the new versions...Remember this is a tube rig. There will be learning curve in tuning her up for each band until you get use to it.
They will do about 100-125 watts on each band.The receiver is not bad either.
Good Starter rig IMHO...All the tubes are still available and they are not bad to work on if something dies.
Few items...Did your guy just go thru this radio and it is in good working condition on all bands?
This rig has a external Speaker and Power supply combo...Good working condition?
The $350 price tag it should Look Good and Play 100%...
Had many of these over the years...
One other thing...Does it have the 10m crystals INSTALLED...Those radios worked on 11m but you had to remove the 10m crystals and retune those stages...
I would say check this in most cases as the 10m section is a must for Tech/General operation.
My 2 cents worth
All the Best
Gary

The crystal is moved to 11m..yes Temp has been recapped and tubes checked

Have you searched these specific entries in your local Craigs List on the internet: "Ham Radio" or "Amateur Radio" or "Transceiver" or "Kenwood" or "Yaesu" or "Icom" to see if any thing pops up around $350?

Even if the listing is for $500, sellers will sometimes negotiate for much less if you visit them with cash-in-hand. Be quick to call, text or respond.

If you don't make the deal, only a few gallons of gas were wasted and we all know it's pretty darn cheap right now (y)

Have you searched these specific entries in your local Craigs List on the internet: "Ham Radio" or "Amateur Radio" or "Transceiver" or "Kenwood" or "Yaesu" or "Icom" to see if any thing pops up around $350?

Even if the listing is for $500, sellers will sometimes negotiate for much less if you visit them with cash-in-hand. Be quick to call, text or respond.

If you don't make the deal, only a few gallons of gas were wasted and we all know it's pretty darn cheap right now (y)

Indeed. I expect one could find a TS-820 for that price and I would take it any day over a Tempo-1. LOTS of good older stuff out there for $350-500.

I consider it a criminal act to modify a TS-820/830 for 11m and subject it the usual abuse suffered on that band. :(
Me too, Captain K. I read about people reversing the process on the Yahoo hybrid forum, and it's a painful process. Only reason I mentioned it was the OP said the Tempo had been modded for 11 meters,.and I thought that might be a deal breaker for him.

Brett

The first radio I used as a ham in 1975 and went on to work 205 countries with it, but that was on hell of a great sun spot cycle to boot. For the time they were a great little rig and the only drawback now is 8950 tube that it use is hard to get and expensive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated