• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with a few questions on Yaesu VX-8DR

JohnnyScience

Jun 10, 2011
Looking to pick one of these up in a day or two and have a few questions.

Biggest reason is for a SHTF radio so I can access weather, emergencies & other hams. Yes I will also get my tech license.

Are you able to completely shut off the APRS function so no one can track you?

I've read somewhere that someone mentioned it not receiving on the .mil frequencies (I think 227+ or something?). Is this true and what HTs can even do this if the 8DR can't? Is there any way to unlock the VX-8DR to receive those frequencies?

Should I be looking for an "unlocked" version and or the MARS ability? (is this considered the same thing? Am I able to unlock the radio when I get it?)

Thanks.

Last edited:

Yes, you can shut off the APRS modem/tracking. Regarding the frequency question, I need a little more detail on which frequencies you want to RX and I can test it.

I just bought one yesterday, it should be here in a few days. It's my first radio & will probably be very overwhelming, especially with how much the DR is capable of doing.

Are there any good cheat sheets for it?

Am I able to unlock it for this MARS system? Do I even want that?

I am unsure of the .mil freq, just seen someone make mention to them & that they were around the 227 range.

I just bought one yesterday, it should be here in a few days. It's my first radio & will probably be very overwhelming, especially with how much the DR is capable of doing.

Are there any good cheat sheets for it?

Am I able to unlock it for this MARS system? Do I even want that?

I am unsure of the .mil freq, just seen someone make mention to them & that they were around the 227 range.

The "nifty manuals" (I think that's what they're called) are good supplements to the manual. You can find them online and at ham shops. The only reason you would need to expand the frequency TX range is if you need to transmit outside of the ham bands. It's a simple modification and is posted in the mods section here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.