• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

help with a galaxy echo board install

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
a friend gave me an old galaxy echo board, and im trying to install it in my galaxy 929.

the board # of the echo board is: EPT0SSB501I. (i think the last character is an "I")

the install looks to be pretty much plug and play, but when i turned on the radio after installing it, the radio was in TX mode, and stays TXed no matter what you do.
no modulation either.

i have the VCC going to a constant 8 volts.

i unplugged the three pin connector going from the mic plug to the PC board and plugged it into the echo board, i plugged the three pin connector from the echo board into the PC board.

everything matched up colorwise and connectorwise, but it doesnt work!
stays TXed all the time.

i dont have too much experience with echo boards so i was hoping someone could tell me where to start looking for a problem.

thanks for any help,
LC

ok, i figured it out.

had to unsolder the input and output connectors and turn them around.

now it works, but not getting any echo effect.
im pretty sure that is the echo board's fault though.

who knows how old it is.
LC

when replacing a galaxy echo board you pretty much need an exact replacement ,unless you want to do alot of work .
galaxy runs thier key line thru thier echo boards .if you ever took a galaxy echo out a radio you would see that radio will no longer key up now .
the whole key line goes thru thier boards and as you are finding out swapping a echo in one is no plug n play chore unless you have an exact replacement .

your almost better off with a aftermarket board unless you can find a exact replacement .

good luck

yep, thats exactly what i figured out. LOL

i just took the board out, and will buy a TRB1 board if i really want echo in this radio.

it was free and seemed like a fun project. NOPE!
too many headaches.

thanks for the info though, that does make sense.
LC

I've read of what's been posted about installing an echo board in the Galaxy 959's...but which wire(s)do I use to hook it up to? brown(going down to board along with the red)??yellow is transmit ,red is ??My board has two white leads ,one in, one out plus the ground shield

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.