• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with Galaxy dx99v.

morseguy

Jun 16, 2013
Earth
This is a friends radio. The receive audio is distorted, almost like when you turn off the AGC on a radio that allows that.
I witnessed this myself. He wants me to take it home and see if I can find the problem.
Any ideas?

Sometimes this kind of problem clears up with a simple receive alignment.

Another thing you might check is if someone put a 2sc2999e at TR-17. If so; then replace it with the stock part which is a 2sc1674. I had put a 2sc2999e in my 99V and it didn't work so well. Receive was distorted a bit - too. So it was replaced with the stock part and went back to normal. If there are Schottky diodes in there; then that is OK and is a real improvement.

There might also be something wrong in the AGC circuit itself. There is a quad op amp, some diodes, and a couple of transistors in that circuit that may need to be checked out there.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx99v/graphics/99v_block.gif

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx99v/graphics/dx99v_sch_old.pdf

I would try working with the first two ideas - first . . .

Last edited:
You might ask your friend what all has been done to this radio if he knows the history of it.

I know he bought it used and it worked great for a long time. He did have an issue with blowing fuses and had that fixed. This new problem came suddenly so it wasn't like it happened after someone fooled with it.

Well he gave me the the dx99v today to take home. After playing around with it here are the symptons.
Low sensitivity.
Signals that I do hear are distorted and "crispy" sounding.
People tell me my transmitted signal is "watery" and weak sounding.
When transmitting the meter light dims.

Some kind of regulation problem? I know its not the power supply I'm using.

I forgot to update.
I poked around inside and touching one of the harnesses near the front of the radio, it came back to life. I then tried to get the radio to quit again and could not.
I reseated all the plug-in jumpers, cleaned all the switches and controls, then went thru the alignment.
My friend says the radio works just fine now. So we are both happy.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.