• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with Monkey Made antenna

When I have tried comparing mobile antennas I have found the differences minuscule and hard to detect, but that was using the same mounting location.

I was one way or the other on what might work better for you in this case, a lot of it depending on directionality of the rail mount more than anything.

5’ is my magic number with antenna length...gains above that length seem very small, and losses below it seem large.
The bottom line is, it doesn't matter how long of a shaft I can get, I will never obtain / utilize the full potential of the Predator by leaving it installed on the bedrail because the base of the antenna will always be blocked by the cab.
The Predator is in fact a "center loaded" antenna and as Jessie James Dallas has stated, the compete antenna from top to bottom is a radiating element.
I have learned several valuable lessons about radios and antennas from the folks on this forum. Unfortunately I have no use for the Predator unless I install it with the base of the antenna at or above the roof line. I can kiss the $94.95 + $11.80 (shipping) goodbye!

Reactions: Slowmover
The bottom line is, it doesn't matter how long of a shaft I can get, I will never obtain / utilize the full potential of the Predator by leaving it installed on the bedrail because the base of the antenna will always be blocked by the cab.
The Predator is in fact a "center loaded" antenna and as Jessie James Dallas has stated, the compete antenna from top to bottom is a radiating element.
I have learned several valuable lessons about radios and antennas from the folks on this forum. Unfortunately I have no use for the Predator unless I install it with the base of the antenna at or above the roof line. I can kiss the $94.95 + $11.80 (shipping) goodbye!

Send a postcard (as I did) to Undertaker for info on the Radio Antenna Museum Curators course.

Building display and storage units will take one’s mind off some pocket money spent on an antenna.

I’ve had a SIGNAL ENGINEERING GoldenRod 45 more than twenty years now. It’s was a kick to have it up on the Peterbilt recently. Too tall, granted, but after a wipedown it’s back on display with an annotated information card. First use in fifteen years.

And, yeah, it’s worth it the museum has a Guest Book for comments. Someday, when you’re in the nursing home and tired of Matlock re-runs, there’s solace to be found back in your room and taking it from a drawer.

Look on the bright side, will ya!

If you're not happy with your 10k antenna I might know someone who would take it off your hands.:whistle:

2B33C0A2-9978-4C84-9253-E685A74F126D.jpeg

See here what that mail-order curators course in art (ahem, antenna) restoration will do for you?

Quick! ID this pair of mobile antennas, and their approximate age!

Polish out that PREDATOR, homes.
Opportunity is a’knockin’ at your door.

(If it ain’t fast, chrome it!)

Enter the Museum Main Hall and these are the pair of crossed swords against a black background with dimmed tesla auras changing constantly.

All under studio lighting on the partition dividing the exhibits.

Greetings. Welcome. Be prepared for that which is beyond.

(Beats watchin’ Mannix on a 1965 RCA, right?)

Last edited:
Reactions: RT431

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?