• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HELP WITH SETTING UP YAESU 857D FOR RECEIVING ON AM

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I messed with my wifes 857D last summer when we went on vacation to Georgia and every AM signal was hardly understandable all garbled and over modulated sounding. I messed with that damn thing and had no luck ATT AIP and I believe I had even messed with the AGC just to check it or rule it out. Anyone have this rig and simular problem or if not what are your settings for the above mentioned? Thanks in advance....Tony

This for receiving correct? The ATT and AIP would reduce signal levels but nothing else. Is the notch filter turned on? When it is on and centered it will filter out the carrier and could make things garbled. That's the first thing that comes to mind but I'll give it more thought.

This for receiving correct? The ATT and AIP would reduce signal levels but nothing else. Is the notch filter turned on? When it is on and centered it will filter out the carrier and could make things garbled. That's the first thing that comes to mind but I'll give it more thought.

Uugghh. Never mind what I said above. This radio has an audio notch filter (crap) and not an IF notch filter (much better) so what I said above is not applicable. :oops: I should have known that as I have an FT-857D. :headbang

Is it on frequency?? What AM band are you trying to listen too? And is it what you are hearing that is muffled or is it what they are hearing on your tx that is muffled?

I know this may sound stupid but are you on AM and trying to listen to a side band signal??

Other than that and makeing sure its on freq, there is nothing else that i can think of that would make AM only RX sound muffled.

Take a look at the DSP Noise Reduction and make sure it's not up too high. Also check the DSP HPF Cutoff and LPF Cutoff. You might have narrowed up the passband too much while operating another mode, making AM sound horrible.

Im thinking Ill look at that NB setting in the menu Im thinking its something simple and willing to bet that its probably the problem I hope. If that does not do it then Ill go through it as mole suggested. CK LMAO!! I half to admit you threw me for a loop for a bit there but I figured you were not thinking about it the right way and made a boo boo :LOL: I understood what you were thinking.

Yeah Tony I wasn't thinking for a minute there. :laugh: I was thinking about my Icom IC-735 that had a really good notch filter that would notch the carrier right out and leave an AM signal sounding as if it was an SSB station being received on AM mode. i miss the good old days of decent priced radios doing all the filtering at the IF level instead of the inferior and just plain shitty audio level. Going from the IC-735 to the FT-857 was a real eye opener as far as what technology has done both for us and too us.

LMAO!! I have a really good notch filter on my Yaesu FT-990 it also can make a signal pretty damn squirrely when messing with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.