• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help With VHF/UHF Beams

KK3Q

Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2013
EL98go
www.kk3q.net
Some months ago I purchased a bunch of antennas from SK estate, all 6M through 432. There are two which I am thinking of pressing into service for satellite work but they need some TLC and I have no idea who made them. So what I'm looking for is any clues as to who made them so I can get a manual for them. They don't look homebrew but they might be, some folks are pretty good at building antennas.

Here are some pictures:

10.jpg

11.jpg

Notice the pre-amp on the rear of the 432 beam. Hopefully these can be repaired, I don't know why they are so beat up looking. Guy must have taken them down and threw them into a pile.

They look like Cushcraft Oscar Boomers. The 2m is a 22XB and the 70cm one is a 738XB I believe. I don't think they are made any more but not certain but you should be able to find a manual online.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks, they were there on the Cushcraft site. The 2 meter is a little different but not much. Guess I can try to get parts from them. Not sure if the 432 pre-amp is working but once I get them straightened around I can give it a whirl.

Thanks for the excellent help!

If you do decide to repair them and get them up in the air, make sure and post pics of the repair process along with final mounting position.

Nice find if you can get them working again!

And one more suggestion from a 'cheapy'. Before spending a lot on either of them, try just straightening things a bit and use them. Won't look pretty, but they are usually high enough you can't see them well anyway, you know? If they work, then they work...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
That's what I was going to do. Put the saw horses up in the garage and drape them across one at a time. A pair of electricians pliers should work great to straighten them. I don't know how these things got so beat up and the 6 element 6 meter beam is even worse. One big hurdle is I don;t have a SSB rig but do have dual band FM so maybe can work a little satellite if I get the antennas fixed up. With as any elements as there are on the and the boom an the length of the boom I shouldn't need an amp. Might a leraning curve on tracking though.

I hadn't thought of documenting the repairs but I guess it won't hurt since there's some interest.

Included also was a 145/440 interlaced quad made from fiberglass for the boom and elements. No wire on it but that's no problem.

Thanks!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.