• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help with Yaesu FT2900R

Singularity35

DU7DVE
Jan 16, 2014
Small City, Philippines
Noob here and I hope I'm posting in the right place, if not please move this to the proper place mods.

I just got a Yaesu FT2900R and I'm really liking it. I have one problem with it however. I cannot find a way to program the frequency step permanently. I read the manual front to back and while I can go to the menu and choose the step I want(10.0), it's back to 12.5 after I go to MR and back to VFO. Is there a way to program steps permanently? Or at least until I want to change it myself.

Thanks in advance and 73's all around.

Does the radio have the MARS mod done to it? I believe you lose the ability to make the step change permanent if the mod is done to the radio.

I have two 2900 R radios and I love them !! If the mars mod is done I dont know if the frequency step change will hold or not since neither of my radios have the mod done....if the mod has not been done here is how I do the step chance

go to vfo mode

press and hold the set/mhz button for a second till the menu shows up

scroll the menu to step ...#50 and press set again
you should see the frequency step show up,turn the vfo knob to the step you are after

( I use the 5.0 k step since I also use mine for a vhf scanner,there are a few police and fire departments that still use vhf analog)

press set/mhz again and step will appear on the screen

then press the set/mhz and hold to have it return to the frequensy readout again...and done !!

I am willing to bet if you do this and it doesnt store the setting you have a radio that has the mars/out of band transmit mod done to it.....

good luck and welcome to the board !

Thanks for the replies, but sorry for the dumb question but what is a MARS mod?

Edit: Just googled MARS but since I am in the Philippines, I'm doubtful that that mod has been done on my unit. I got it new BTW.

MARS is Military Amateur Radio Service......

Since you bought your radio new,I would think that the instructions I posted above should work,as long as you have the same radio that is sold in the states.....

MARS is Military Amateur Radio Service......

Since you bought your radio new,I would think that the instructions I posted above should work,as long as you have the same radio that is sold in the states.....

Thank you for the reply. I can set the steps but when I turn it off or go to memory mode, it goes right back to 12.5k steps. Although it's new, most 2m radios sold in the Philippines have been modded to transmit in from 136-174 mhz. Could that be the reason?

I guess I'll just have to live with it. Love the rig though. :D

I am willing to bet if that radio will transmit as you say that is why the tuning step wont hold in memory.

Here in the states the 2900 transmits 144 to 148 mhz and the one sold in Europe transmits 144 to 146 mhz ( if I am remembering right)

I really like my 2900 radios as well,simple to operate and built like a tank.The one I have in my pickup has been there for 3 years now and I have had no issues with it...my mobile radio has lived a hard life to...

I hate to tell you that the quest for longer contacts never ends !! (y)

I enjoy hitting the far away repeaters and the simplex contacts....

My best contact yet on VHF is the International Space Station

And I am still not done digging signals out of the background noise :D

I hate to tell you that the quest for longer contacts never ends !! (y)

I enjoy hitting the far away repeaters and the simplex contacts....

My best contact yet on VHF is the International Space Station

And I am still not done digging signals out of the background noise :D

Haha, I can imagine. Some guys here(where I am in the Philippines) have poles 100 feet tall on top of their houses. I hope my case won't get that bad. :D

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated