• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Here's something that could be of help to 102" whip use

C W Morse

Apr 3, 2005
Retired
Sometimes, a long whip doesn't seem to be long enough. This could be due to a number of reasons caused by the position of the whip on the vehicle. For example, I've seen whips mounted inside the walls of a pickup bed. Even when using a spring to make it 108", if it ever appears to be short, here's something you can do to make your whip as long as needed.

[/u]Parts List

1 pc 3/4" copper tubing 3' feet long

2 ea 1/2" X 1/8" Brass busing

1 tube JB Weld

Rivet gun and rivets (Optional)

Parts available at Home Depot and other outlets.

It so happens that those little bushings are threaded at 3/8" X 24 TPI and your whip will screw right down into them. Makes these handy for lots of antenna projects. The bushings will pop right into the ends of the 3/4" copper tubing--usually quite snugly. Select a length the antenna *seems* to want. You should be able to trim this lower mast with a hacksaw, removing one of the bushings until the whip and mast are the right length. When the SWR is satisfactory, secure the bushings inside the tubing with JB Weld. After the JB Weld has set up, then you may want to drill and rivet these ends in place. Also you may find it necessary to dress the bushing threads with a 3/8" X 24 tap for the whip. You can then assemble the antenna, mast and spring (if needed and is part of your equation) and VOILA! You can even paint this mast to match.

I have made these things for years and you can also make homemade "coily" antennas using this method, making the mast as long as short as needed.

Hope this helps! :D

CWM

Intersting.

Im using a ab-1322 antenna with the ms-116/117/118 sections. the 117 section is modified witht he DX-engineering hot rods. The glory of this is that you can add more bottom sections (116's) to make the size what you want/need in increments of 3 foot. I have in a piece of PVC, enough 116 rods to make an 21' vertical for fixed use. Fed thru a SGC-237 and 7 inches of 12kv teflon. in the 9' config, it handles 3.5 to 60mhz continuous.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.