• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HexBeam, maybe?

Thinking on brewing one or "Buy it Now" a multi-band HexBeam. Anyone out there have one? If so did you homebrew it or buy it? If you bought one, which one? How is it surviving weather? How high do you have it? Working the world with it?

Any info/experience/feedback appreciated.

Thanks,
7 3
Have you priced Hexbeams yet?

For around the same cost you can go with the tried and true "real" beam antenna such as the Yagi design which has a 100 year history and still going!

A typical compact tri-band 3 element Yagi will have more gain than a Hexbeam which is really a 2 element contraption of bent dipoles. I suggest you research the dB gain spec's on both types of antennas.

The only advantage of a hexbeam is it's lightweight and smaller over a full size beam( that's what I meant previously).

Another disadvantage I see is the Hexbeam looks to be much more work trying to assemble
all those wires and spreaders while a Yagi beam is just assembling tubes.

Hexbeams seem to be the lastest fad years ago and many stations bragged about them on the air. I hear very little of that today.

Notice the responses here are typical of how many contacts made with their or other people's Hexbeam.

Plenty of contacts literally have been made of operators expiermenting loading up rain gutters too!

I still recommend looking into the Mosely MP-33 NW if a high power 5 band beam is what your considering.

There is also the lower power TA-33jr NW which is 1200 watts SSB/600w CW and is only 27lbs.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.