• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HEY !! CHECK THIS OUT !! SUPERSTAR 2200

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Sure looks like a Midland / G.E. radio huh. First time I ever seen one of these.
0b_1.JPG

same as the black 148 dx's. they were based on a president jackson

I've got one of these in bits on the workbench now. Been like that for a while actually. Its a bit of a dogs breakfast inside. It looks like someone has tried to fix it in the past, lots of newer looking solder joints, probably looking for dry joints.
There are a couple of wires taped off and one plug that doesn't have anywhere to connect to.
I'll figure it out sonner or later.
One thing, the Clarifier (not sure what you guys call it) is labeled Fine/Coarse, but on the radio I have it is not a double pot. Maybe a previous fix and thats what the spare wires are for....

Switch Kit said:
Sure looks like a Midland / G.E. radio huh. First time I ever seen one of these.
0b_1.JPG

That's the Cobra 148 GTL-DX (FAKE) as Lou calls it. It's a Ham International, jumbo, etc. Cybernet based chassis.

Real nightmares. I had one, wish I still did, just for nostalgia's sake.

Anywho. Junk radios, performance-wise.... But, they where the first exports we saw.

Find a DUF SOMMERKAMP TS340 or 140. Had a "power-pump" switch on it... Activated a single transistor amp in it. All Pleesey semi-conductors, most now discontinued.. Cool radios, for the day.

--Toll_Free

toll_ free is spot on there, we had lots of the cybernet all mode radios,

3 or 4 boards all very similar schematics apart from the multimode/jumbo board which had a modulation transformer,

they came in 20+ different radios all pants compared to the unidens of the same era but they do have their fans,

cybernet shitters as we call them very rarely sound any good on ssb once they have been screwdrivered and had some abuse and a simple alignment to the book wont fix it,

once the ssb audio sounds bad its a pain to get it sounding anything like acceptable again, honnestly not worth the effort but that dont stop me picking one up just for old times sake if i spot a clean unbutchered example doing the rounds for £10,

strange but true my buddy was having a clearout of his old cb crap and gave me a new D837 darlington reg/mod transistor for one today, very often blown and bodged with 2 piggybacked transistors they were hard go get over here, i wonder if its an omen that theres another cybernet shitter comming round the corner soon :roll:

i must resist i always say never again because i fix em up best i can and sell them for what it cost me but if its cheap and clean i just cant help myself, the battle between nostalgia and common sense lmao

the one in the pic looks very much like our nato2000 just silver and no uk legal fm band,
the one and only 2200 i heared was owned by a young lad in our villiage and that oddly sounded like they used to sound when they were new before the golden screwdrivers went to work :LOL:

I have a question ? Cybernets ? are these what Midland used back in the days ? .......IM no expert as I keep reminding myself as well as others ,but I have been through a lot of radios in my time , Your not saying that all cybernet boards were bad are you ? or does this just have to do with SSB ? Don't get me wrong here , IM a total fan of older first run Midland radios , TANKS !! come to mind. I still say one of the best radios I've ever heard was a 77-882AM only just with a tune up on it's own stock mic. They still sound good today as far as IM concerned. Just something about the crispiness of the audio on those. Again .my brain is still in the CB world so to speak. I always thought they new how to build radios back then. Cybernet or not ? One of my all time favorites.
midland77882.JPG

switch the midlands we had were 100m's 150m's and the legal midlands that used maxon boards, i have never seen inside the kind you have there.

Yes, Cybernet built Midland.

They where complete, total and utter crap in comparison to Uniden.

Their export radios where generally modded radios...

I like them, and as someone else pointed out, if they aren't screwdrivered, they can be decent.

Don't expect Galaxy like power output, Don't EVER touch the VCO coil, the slug is impossible to find, and they use a "homemade" vco.

Otherwise, enjoy. Nice shelf radio, if nothing more. Mine looked great on top of my RCI 2900.

--Eye Uh Toll Uh

Thanks for the better understanding here , I still personally like some of those older Midland's , I forgot to mention that the receive on them was also dynamic so to speak , Almost as if they had built in receivers on them ,(I supoose this might be good for some and maybe bad for others ?) Not power houses by any means but thats' why they build amps. These radios are 30 years old now and I still find MANY of them today, they still work and work well , that's what I meant by "TANKS" All steel all the way around. With there PLL02A chips and big fat audio chips. Here's what the inside of that radio looks like Bob.
im001674bi2.jpg

yes switch i recognise that board, it looks cybernet to me, very much like several old am radios we had such as formack's and majors,
they were better than our midlands and like i said cybernets did have their fans while i preferred the uniden scoopers chasers stalkers ect,
our first cybernet legal fm cb's dozens of different brand radios had a board that must have started out with something like what you have there but modified to make them into ukfm only radios,
it was kind of a put me on untill they designed a dedicated fm board which actually worked better on both tx and rx in the lab and in real life, as usual the chassis the newer board came in was cheapo crap compared to the older radios and as such never gained the same popularity.

Superstar 2200

Looks the same as the cybernet boarded Nato 2000 from the early 80s and also the Tristar 848

Regards

Simon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.