• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF mobile antenna

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
What's a good one for a big truck?

Not sure I could mount a screwdriver(company truck), Hamsticks are kinda long for mirror mounting, anyone using(or have used) something good?

Tarheel II antenna is small enough you can mount on a truck and they use the standard 3/8 by 24 thread and you can do "fair" 80 thru 6 meter with it. You will have best results 40 meter and above, although I have made alot of contacts on 60 meter as well.

What kind of truck?

What kind of radio?

Consider buying the Turbo Tuner for ease of tuning since your driving a big truck, just hit the tune button on the radio and it does its thing.

VE3LXY.jpg

VE3LXY_1.jpg

I spoke with an over the road driver and he used the "Bandhopper" antenna. The main reason for using this antenna is that its height NEVER changes. It is always at 9' which allows him to mount it without worry of it hitting bridges.

Other antennas change height and depending on how you mount it, it may be too tall or too low the majority of the time. With the bandhopper, its set it and forget it.

Again, this was a recommendation from an over the road driver. Your mileage may vary.

If I was buying an HF antenna, I'd go with a HI-Q, followed by a High Sierra. I'd stop there.

Here is then Bandhopper website.
http://www.bandhopper.com/

Here are reviews on mobile HF antennas.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/12

From the looks of things at the Bandhopper site they my be no longer in production.

snip from the site-

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Ben, WA7BEF, passed away on Friday, October 28.

The Bandhopper Factory will continue helping our cus-

tomers with repairs and advice on the care and feeding

of the Bandhopper line of mobile antennas. If you have

questions about Bandhopper, please direct them to

Bob, N7AGP, at bandhopper@att.net or call me

at 406-868-4441. Please do not bother Sharon,

Ben's wife with questions about antennas, as she

can not help you, and she REALLY does not need

to be bothered at this time. Thanks for your con-

sideration. Bob Morris N7AGP

Just depends on how much band changing you plan to do, and how much money you think changing a tap on a coil is worth. I've used a 'BugCatcher' for a number of years and am happy with it. changing bands means stopping to change coil taps, but it's worth the savings to me. Also tried the 'screwdriver' type antennas (one of the early ones) and don't think they were worth the effort on the lower bands.
You can make a 'BugCatcher' work on almost any vehicle. Not always easily, but certainly 'do-able'. So, you pays your money and takes your choice... as they say.
- 'Doc

PS - The 'hamsticks' type thingys are fine on the higher bands. Below 20 meters, forget it.

The Hi-Q antennas are kind've like a cross between a bugcatcher and a screwdriver. They have a new model that is smaller in diameter and height which would work good on a truck. Put a cap hat on it instead of a big whip, and you'll have an antenna that will work surprisingly well.

A tuner and a whip will certainly work. How well it works depends on how long the whip is, including loading, and the frequency it's used on. If it's something electrically the equivalent of close to a 1/4 wave, fine. If not, then not so fine. A typical 8 - 9 foot whip used on 20 meters and up ought'a do okay. Used below 20 meters, forget it.
- 'Doc

Mounting is a pain. Put it on the back and it's almost completley surrounded by AU, on the side would have the metal for 180 degrees, front bumper and the front end folds over on it.

Might look into a fold over mount for thee front bumper.

74IN said:
What about an LDG tuner and as long a whip as I can bounce lightly off bridges?

AT200PRO tuner.

Works "ok" but! You will be disappointed at 40 and 75 Meters.
It is just THAT: a compromise. And a compromise means you have to give something up. And that, unfortunately, is performance on the lower bands. On 20 and above, works OK!

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.