• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF vertical antenna

42Ford

Dec 19, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Hi everyone, I bought a Yaesu FT 890 and FP 757HD a few months ago,
I've been listening using my CB 1/2 wave vertical.
I've decided to study for a Foundation Licence, VK4F * * *.
Now, I'm thinking buying a Mosley RV-4C and mounting it beside my house at
or above roof height, has anyone else done this? The house is single level brick with a tin roof.
I know these antennas are ment to be ground mounted , but that's not
practical here.
Thanks for your advice, Steve.

Last edited:

I've never used that particular antenna so can't say much about it. I can tell you some 'general' things about vertical antennas though. Having a good ground radial system (or a raised one) is much better than having an 'adequate' system. That typically means a lot more radials than the minimum number recommended by the manufacturer. It doesn't hurt to have more 'grounding' than is 'needed'. (Grounding is a terrible thing to call that 'other half' of an antenna, it can mean a lot of things to different people.)
Just for 'grins', have you thought about using that metal roof as part of the 'ground' system? That can/might lead to RFI problems, but might work for you.
- 'Doc

"Now, I'm thinking buying a Mosley RV-4C and mounting it beside my house at
or above roof height, has anyone else done this? The house is single level brick with a tin roof.
I know these antennas are ment to be ground mounted , but that's not
practical here."

42FORD:
The Mosley is not a bad Vertical...and noting you have a TIN ROOF, could be a big plus.
The trick is how big is the roof and can you mount the antenna somewhere near the center of the roof? On a short pole or Tripod?
Even near the end may work.
Then bond the ground portion of the antenna to the roof and use this for your radial system....

I know a ham now that has a 40m 1/4 wave homebrew vertical(33 ft. long) mounted on a Military style Quonset Hut about 40 x 30 ft. with aluminum roof and tripod mounted and it is a monster on 40m/17/15 mtr's...
So they can produce a good signal with the right set-up
Get to your Studies and go for it!
We are here to help when you get ready to start your station, you have a good start already....google homebrew verticals for other ideas...
I have used many and they can be made to work well with a little work
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Verticals work for me.....great to see another ham coming into the world...new one myself...should have done it many years ago!!
Check out the Stepir Antenna website....look to the left at an article about verticals.....has a ton of pros and cons ground mounted vs elevated....article is "radial systems for vertical antennas". Also google "vertical learnings" another great article. I wish I had a metal roof!! Good luck.....get the license don't let anything or anyone stop you.......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated