• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HF

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
OK so now that many of us are general class :D how many are having as much friggin fun as i am :D I have been making great contact all over the globe.........i'm telling ya this is the bomb diggity.I can do either 20/40 meters so if you ever want to set up sked let me know by post or pm.
73,Stu

I check into the Nootime Net on 7.265, most days, before noon Pacific Time. The net runs from 9:30 to about 3:30 Pacific time. My truck is in the shop right now, but I should have the HF antennas back on next week. I talk to Jim, W7FHZ, all the time, so you should be no problem. We can make a contact request when we check-in and they will put us together to move to a clear frequency. I'll send you a PM with my call. I don't put my call on here, because my name and address are public record in the FCC database.

I operate 80-60-40-20-15-17-12-10, or six meters, from Northeast Oregon during daylight hours. I'm also on 2m and 440. If anyone wants to set up a sked, just PM me. I'm an Extra class, so all freq's are open.

Rich

i passed element 3 back in november so i just gotta turn in my white sheet with $12 on wednesday. im in no real hurry to do it though. i dont have any way to run over 200 watts on 10m anyways. i sold my hf rig last summer (kenwood ts440s) so all i got is a 2950 for light ssb work.

Carl said:
i passed element 3 back in november so i just gotta turn in my white sheet with $12 on wednesday. im in no real hurry to do it though. i dont have any way to run over 200 watts on 10m anyways. i sold my hf rig last summer (kenwood ts440s) so all i got is a 2950 for light ssb work.

And why do you need to run over 200 watts on 10m anyway? 25 watts from the mobile will work the world when the band is open but 25,000 watts from the base won't if the band is closed.I admit a bit more power is great if the band is iffy but stop dragging your feet. Get on the air!

I have worked Stations in the UK, South America and much of the South Pacific with a 1/4 wave steel whip, and A Hr 2510! If you like DX, you will love 10 meters. Even now while we are the low point of the cycle, If you work at it there are still conditions, you just have to be aggressive and get on there and call CQ.
Another thing to look for is if 11 meters (CB) is open, you can just about bet your last dollar that 10 is open as well.
It will only get better as we move toward the next peak in the cycle.
Sporadic E is best from about May to August, so we can look for 10 to improve some in the next few months.
:LOL:
You guys are going to love it, when the solar cycle at its best, you can sit there on 10 and say...

"Will the Station with JA in the call please stand by, I have two other stations ahead of you "

At the peak of the cycle 10 meters IS THE Band to be on.
Ain`t no duck-pluck-in-doubt-about-it!

Jeff

QRN said:
Carl said:

And why do you need to run over 200 watts on 10m anyway? 25 watts from the mobile will work the world when the band is open but 25,000 watts from the base won't if the band is closed.I admit a bit more power is great if the band is iffy but stop dragging your feet. Get on the air!

since we are just in the begining of the new cycle
i doubt you will be working much of the world on 10m very often..maybe a little south america or the carib...trust me if you have more clean watts to run use them. dont let anyone tell you otherwise..........watts get through pile ups....

:D Watts help to bust a pile up. but not as much as a good antenna that is mount as high as you get it. Of course if the bands are open a wet noodle will work. i personally have worked into spain, belgium and africa with a stock hr2510 and a wilson 1000 antenna. i have also worked marconi in texas with my washington base that is virgin and a star duster. i would get the license and a decent antenna maybe worry about power later. And for whar it's worth, i have several amplifiers here in storage i learned brute force only works for a little while. :) :)
73 have fun it's a hobby

funbiz99 said:
since we are just in the begining of the new cycle
i doubt you will be working much of the world on 10m very often..maybe a little south america or the carib...trust me if you have more clean watts to run use them. dont let anyone tell you otherwise..........watts get through pile ups....

If the band is open good enough to generate pileups then you do not need power to work lots of stations.You may not crack a big pileup but there are other fish to fry.I have been into radio for almost 30 years and never ran any more than 100 watts and that included the bottom of three solar cycles as well.When the cycle is low power can help sometimes but it will do absolutely nothing for your RX. Rule #1 is you can't work'm if you can't hear'm and not everybody runs legal limit (thank God). The contacts are there,you just have to listen and make some calls on a seemingly closed band. Sometimes the band is not as closed as you think.The VERY BEST alternative to running high power on a single band like 10m for contacts is to UPGRADE and take advantage of all the bands and don't worry about power. One hundred watts will work the world especially on 20m.I have worked from here in Nova Scotia to Europe,East Asia,southern Africa,Australia and even Rodriquez Island in the Indian Ocean via longpath all from my mobile with 100 watts on 20m.Forget the high power 10m amps and such. UPGRADE! ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.