• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hgM84W

coolhand

CDX-297
Jul 27, 2005
Miami, Fl.
Cobra High Gear M84W Mic

Are these Mic's any good? How do the compare to the RK's and other noise cancelling mic's?

Last edited:

I've got one of those (wood grain one) works pretty well, although the rubber lip guard is glued on and easy to break off and the slide in PTT button when it gets used does not push in as fluidly.

Can't really compare it to other noise cancelling mics as that my only one, oh and its quite heavier than a stock mic for sure.

Deciding if it is a good mic depends on some factors that you will need to choose.
In general, what makes a mic 'good' for the purposes of CB radio is clarity, punch, sensitivity, and reputation. It is quite OK to challenge reputation, because any new upstart company can come out with a winner if they can produce the clarity, punch, and sensitivity - and do it for less money or more quality.

Noise-cancelling mics have few peers - it's a hard league top break into. Since the Turner Road King is no longer manufactured, the 'Workman' version is now being made. It would be interesting to read a review of one. Maybe CB Radio Magazine will pick up this lead, and give it a test spin and let us know about it.

I haven't been much of a fan of Cobra mics. I have one; but it was given to me in a trade. I don't use it; as the battery for it cost over ten dollars and it seems to use it up way too fast. I stopped using it after that. I hope they figured out what they were doing wrong. It worked OK; but it was no D104. They can be modified, CBTricks has a couple of pages on it that tailors the response curve with more output.

As for this mic you are looking into, you want a good mobile mic. I like my D104's; but they are a little too sensitive in a noisy vehicle.
Astatic mics are pretty good - why is it that you want the Cobra mic?
Due to the lack of response to your question, maybe it is lack of interest in Cobra mics - eh?
Maybe someone else will put their two cents in now...

I like the look of the mic and I have an older Cobra NC Mic that was given to me and it works pretty darn good if you ask me. I have had alot of good reports from this mic and I wanted to try something new.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.