• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hi all, lurker with a question.

N_2_DEEP

Mar 8, 2012
I stumbled across this forum when researching getting my general lee a few months ago.
I got my gl from sparks so far so good with it. But I have been looking for something different with more features to run in the semi truck. Since I got the gl I have been scopeing out the magnum s9 and s-980 but I was wondering what size power wires the s-980 has on it and how big the chassis is it will be going into the cb compartment of a international prostar so size and power draw are concerns. Also does anyone know where would still have them in stock and doesn't charge 40 for a simple alignment with out clipping any thing?

Thanks!

Hello, size wise it will be the same as the General Lee. That would be the most powerful radio you can run off dash posts in my opinion.

Don't get it from GI Joes, they hacked up my S9 to the tune of 2 months for warranty repair before it worked correct again, last new one I got from H&Y, told them that if the box wasn't factroy sealed I would return it for a complete refund. Did the 11 meter mod myself and has worked flawlessly since.

I have seen h&y had them so I may get It from there

I think your money ahead by buying from a place that has a good tech that does quality work. A radio will need converted and checked over for proper alignment, you can't do that when you try to save 20 bucks at Crapper or H & Y.

Keep in mind as well all new Exports have been changed do to FCC heat, they are no longer easily converted by moving a peg or pushing a button.

That said I would buy the radio from DTB, Custom cb, Sparky cb, or Bobs cb.

I think your money ahead by buying from a place that has a good tech that does quality work. A radio will need converted and checked over for proper alignment, you can't do that when you try to save 20 bucks at Crapper or H & Y.

Keep in mind as well all new Exports have been changed do to FCC heat, they are no longer easily converted by moving a peg or pushing a button.

Yes your right about the conversion not being the move the jumper deal anymore but if you can solder you can do it, in my case GI Joes took 30 dollars of my money to do " An Align And Tune" yea tune alright, messed up the ALC pot so bad that the radio didn't talk worth a hoot on SSB, so in the end I paid a guy 30 bucks to wreck a brand new radio and they insisted on doing it before shipping. Shame on me for going for the deal. Live and Learn

Just for saying, my radio was sent to Bob, sat there for over 8 weeks without ever getting looked at, if I bought it there would it have gotten looked at sooner??. If that is the case then why is he a Magnum Factory Repair Center, guess he only fixes new Magnums that he sells.

I have read about the wait time at bobs, the bad experiences at gi joes and sparks. nd we won't even get into radio active. So now I have to find a decent shop that has the 980 in stock. Since supplies are limited its getting harder. Does anyone have links to the shops they do business with? If I have to spend $450 for the radio so be it. But i want it to be right. The general lee has been great gets out way farther then my cobra 29 splater box it replaced.

I have read about the wait time at bobs, the bad experiences at gi joes and sparks. nd we won't even get into radio active. So now I have to find a decent shop that has the 980 in stock. Since supplies are limited its getting harder. Does anyone have links to the shops they do business with? If I have to spend $450 for the radio so be it. But i want it to be right. The general lee has been great gets out way farther then my cobra 29 splater box it replaced.

Bobs is the way to go.

If I was the kind of guy that didn't know how or was a not sure of what to do, knowing the radios shops I have dealt with I would buy one from either Copper or H&Y send it to Dave at DTB Radio, let him do the mod and you will be a happy camper. If Bob treats his new radio customers ok that would be fine but if you buy it from him and at a later date have an issue and he takes 2 months to look at it that would make me nuts. I don't care how good you are and money is not an issue service is, I work in the auto repair business could you imagine you bring me your car for a not running correct issue and I keep it 2 months and never look at it?? That was Bob did to me, I don't care if he is the best in the entire country, I can be ignored at home by my wife I don't need a radio repair guy to let my radio sit for 2 months and never even look at it. I use to call every Friday to get an update, maybe that ticked him off, I have no idea all I know I would never spend a penny with Bob's CB in Strattenville PA

I called bobs just for a giggle and they don't cart the 980 the reason......it isnt any good on side band....... Can't rember the name of the guy I talked to I called on my lunch.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.