• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hi Gain SPT500 Super Penetrator

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
Here's what happens to a SPT500 if both clamps are not tightened, or loosen up. Evidently the top clamp loosened up to the point the winds got hold of the radials enough to twist the whole mount. You can see the J match touching the radial ground plane elements. Needless to say the SWR is off the chart.
Bummer. Now I have to rent a lift and see if I can get it back in alignment...and tighten the clamps with some more lock tight.

DSC02476.JPG DSC02477.JPG

Reactions: Crawdad

It's been up quite a few years, and being the base is @20ft, it's a little difficult to re-torque the bolts without the aid of a lift.
We routinely get 20 - 40+ mph winds, and over the years I guess that top u-bolt was the weak link that evidently was also getting the most stress put on it.
We'll see how it goes, I will pick up a lift today and see if I can straighten it all out.
Overall, it's been pretty good, and I don't have to deal with weathered fiberglass Like the IMax.
We had some winds clocked at 80mph a few months back, was breaking and uprooting trees in a few areas and SPT500 held up well...except the twisting on the base.

Well, rented the lift, a little tightening and some lock tight green, back in business.

The plastic parts had some splitting starting to go on. For now, it'll have to do. Don't have the parts readily available so the next time I have to play with it, I'll order all the replacement parts and go through it. But for now, it's working and the SWR's are where they need to be.

Took longer to get the lift and take it back than to do the work.

SPT500-1.jpg SPT500-2.jpg

The mounting bracket for this thing seems a little under built to me. It took little effort to get it straightened back into position.

You should order the parts now because with shipping and the economy the way it is now they might not be available when you need them.

That's a good idea. The only problem I have is trying to remember where I squirreled the parts when it comes to find them for use. I've got stuff scattered all over, and tend not to find what I know(think) I have. It generally takes buying the parts again to find what I was looking for.:)

Reactions: Arch Stanton
Related Question: Can someone tell me the OAL of the base assembly? Is it still 71" like the old one? Can't find the info on the net.

Thanks,
Dr_DX

Related Question: Can someone tell me the OAL of the base assembly? Is it still 71" like the old one? Can't find the info on the net.

Thanks,
Dr_DX
Here's both manuals. The only difference I see dimensional is the height which is lower on the current SPT500 @ old 22' 9 1/2" vs 22'

Attachments

• hy-gain_500_penetrator_1975.pdf
    213.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SPT-500.pdf
    456.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: freecell
Hy-Gain now MFJ has cheapen its products using thinner and thinner materials. Had a neighbor a few miles away break the L bracket out of the box. Bullet proof design is always best. Gave him a old 1970's mounting bracket, now all is well.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

I do not like the way they changed the matching wires to the cheap, soft stamped metal they are using.
We put my brothers up and the first bird that landed on the cap hat bent the wires on it.
These are not as well built as years ago.
I will keep my 10K.

Jeff

I do not like the way they changed the matching wires to the cheap, soft stamped metal they are using.
We put my brothers up and the first bird that landed on the cap hat bent the wires on it.
These are not as well built as years ago.
I will keep my 10K.

Jeff

I find that I have to use a shorting bar on the beta match to really fine tune the antenna on 11 meters. It is a lot more challenging with the new flat strap beta match. Also, the top hat wires on the GP appear to have been angled down (but maybe not). This would probably help with keeping the birds off.

Attachments

• hy-gain_525_super_golden_penetrator.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 6
  • hgn-spt-500_ac.pdf
    274.2 KB · Views: 6

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated