• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High Grid Voltage AL-811

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Ever since I had the tube short out I have had problems with a high grid voltage reading.
Tried two different sets of tubes, new 811A's and I am now running a set of Svetlana 572B's. Didn't make a difference.

I made a couple of calls to Ameritron and it ended up being the infamous D16 Diode. The good thing was RadioShack carries these in most stores and a pack of 25 will set ya back a whopping $2.99 .

Replaced the Diode and now my Amp is working like new again !

(y)

Ameritron said that the crazy Grid Voltage readings were to let me know that something was a miss and also had me check it by putting the radio in SSB and keying it up on low power and see if the grid meter moves, if it does D16 is bad.

Just figured I would post this up as its some good info for Newbies like me !

Craig,

you are getting a crash course on amplifier repair 101.

glad yoyu got it going again and working correctly

Definitely been a crash course but I have learned a lot, probably best I am learning on a good entry level inexpensive amp that one I would need a 2nd mortgage to afford.

At some point the AL-811 will become a back up and I will get something that will put out 1k or more, but I will still be staying with the lower end units like the 80b or a 572. Gonna have to save the pennies for a while before that happens.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.