• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High power 1.1 balun for quad

How would you direct feed a quad without issues?
Would it not require some sort of balun for it to radiate correctly?

WILL FERRITES TOROIDS FROM AMIDON WORK? 43 MATERIAL FOR EMI/FRI SUPPRESSION ON 20-250 MHZ.THEY HAVE DIFFERENT SIZES, DEPENDING ON THE DIAMETER OF THE COAX.

Yes. This is a good solution IF the load is similar to the feedline impedance. Otherwise things get complicated. Force 12, a respected antenna manufacturer among hammy hambones uses this trick on some of their products.

HELLO PEAKABOO, ANY QUAD WITH MORE THAN 2 ELEMENTS CAN BE DIRECT FED AS LONG AS IT IS BULIT CORRECT. I RUN A 4ELEMENT ON 30FT BOOM THAT I BUILT(EZNEC PLUS) DIRECT FED 50OHM COAX NO ISSUES AT ALL. WITH MODERN TECHNOLOGY ALL IT TAKES IS KNOWLWDGE, PATIENCE AND YOU CAN BUILD ALMOST ANYTHING.

the question is this:

would the quarter wave sleeve be more efficient and less affected by the nearby mast and pole?

both are easy to construct.

Hi,

Gamesetter, yes, it is a quarter wave sleeve system aplied to a quad antenna.
I never seen that before (quad with quarter wave sleeve). I just got the idea because that guy is using really hign power and usual balun did not fit.

This balun is not affected by boom. The one with that issue is the Pawsey stub. Both cables should be equal and are affected by metals around.

We are finishing now this first balun, then I post some pictures.

Thanks

73, Maximo - EA1DDO & HK1H

Hi again,

Just read what Henry HSPD suggested,is the same

When i google LMR400 i see coax that can bend so you could make a circle of it..and use a pawsey stub. (just add a 1/4 wave length long piece of LMR400) would be approx..1,8 meters long. That is about the same length as a leg on quad would be..

It is not same.

There are different aproaches to develop a balun using 1/4 and 1/2 wave coax; quarter wave sleeve, pawsey, bazooka, collins, etc.
Those 1:1 then there are some modifications to do same with 4:1 impedance tranformation.

Those kind of balun, are only useful for monband antennas. Once you go for a multiband or even wide band, the balun loss his effect.
Perhaps is the reason because nobody uses them.

sleevebalun.gif

bazookabalun.jpg

bazookabalun2.jpg

My 2 Pesos
Tecnicoloco

am i reading this article wrong?, the maths don't look right,
he calculates dimention A ( the 1/4wave pipe ) using 66% velocity factor stating that 66% is the coax vf when the coax's own velocity factor has no bearing on dimention A,

remember coax has 3 rf conductors, the outside of the center wire, the inside of the braid and the outside of the braid, your 66% comes from the slowing effect on signals travelling inside coax such as rg213 rg58 ect,

when you add the pipe you effectively create a new FAT concentric coaxial cable formed by the outside of coax braid and inside of the pipe, anything else in the cavity such as your coax outer jacket and any filling you may use will reduce vf ( shorten the pipe for the same elecrical 1/4wavelength )
or looking at it a different way you could have different electrical lengths due to the FAT coax's velocity factor for the same physical pipe length,

its the velocity factor of this new FAT coax you form that determines the correct 1/4wave electrical length of the sleeve balun, not the freespace pipe length or the vf of the coax you use inside it.

If the question is still "High power 1.1 balun for quad" .......... the answer is to directly feed it with the coax.

I know peak doesn't post here anymore, but a 4 element will present a 50 ohm load and a quad has the ability to suppress CMC on it's own because of the magnetic loop.

Im with C.K. on this with the air core think it would be more efficiant. That one that you guys posted is pretty cool whats the cost?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.