• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR with AM switch Off

81bronco

Nov 28, 2012
Hello guy and gals! I am new to this CB thing. I bought this setup for safety while out wheeling in the mountains. Basically I am saying I am a dummy when it comes to CB's! I have a Uniden PC78XL going to a Texas Star DX250 to a HP202s SWR meter to a spring loaded 102" whip. All connected with Bolden white 50 ohm cables. Anyways now for my problem!

With the amp turned off my SWR from my HP202 meter is 1.22:1. With the amp turned on and the AM switch also on my SWR is 1.24:1. However when i turn my AM switch off my SWR jumps to 1.57:1 and goes down the louder i talk into the mic. My question is why is my SWR so much high with the AM switch OFF?

Here are my readings:
AMP off : 5 forward; .05 reverse (10x scale) 1.22:1 SWR
AMP on, AM on: 4.25 forward; .05 reverse (100X scale) 1.24:1 SWR
AMP on, AM on, Rec Off: (forgot the readings) 1.35 SWR
AMP on AM off: 8 forward; .4 reverse (100X scale) 1.57:1 SWR

Thanks for helping a newbie!
Phil

I'm assuming this is a Workman or Zetagi HP-202, and not something made by Hewlett-Packard. I'm amazed that you can read it down to increments of 0.01.

But I wouldn't worry about this little bit of difference. The meter tolerance itself can be wider than that. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 1.5 or 1.6:1 SWR. If the amplifier designer didn't allow for enough "head room", shame on him.

Reactions: 1 person
Thank you Sir for your help! I will not worry about it any longer. just want the peak output of safety only reasons.

Running am amp for safety? Hmmm...I'll have to use that one. Thanks!

Well when your 20 miles out in the mountains and somebody rolls their rig over, might help to get help on the way sooner! Just hope its not me that rolls! Guess i would have to bend that coat hanger back straight!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.