• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR with Linear Amp on

Dave43050

Jul 3, 2023
Hello All,
I know this has probably been beaten to death, but I’m new and not sure what to do. I have a Galaxy DX 2547 connected to a Proton PT99 antenna. I have an external Dosy meter connected and get the following SWR readings- Ch 1 - barely moves meter, Ch 40 - 1.3. Problem started when adding an amp. I recently added a Smooth 160, 160 watt amp. When amp is on my SWR jumps over 3 on both channels. My question is, should I recalibrate my swr meter with the amp on? Set switch to SET and set needle then flip switch to REF. If I do that then SWR is fine. From what I have read some people say yes and some say no. That’s where my confusion lies. Thank you.

harmonics will make meter gve false readings,, if swr is good with amp off and then it should be all right,,, amps tend to make harmonics and then swr meter doesnt know what to read,,

Reactions: walterjn
The answer is yes. (The watt meter should be in-line after the amplifier) Once you turn the amplifier on you must re-calibrate the SWR meter. It's the same concept with a barefoot radio that has variable power. If you check the SWR with just your radio in-line with say a 4 watt dead key you will get your SWR reading. If you turn the power up to say an 8 watt dead key you will have to re-calibrate to get an accurate reading.

Not to state the obvious but just check your SWR on AM or FM. I would also turn your mic gain down while you dead key so background noise does not come into play.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.