• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR

Well I just conducted real live testing. Lower sideband channel 38, 27.3850 with the Francis 5 foot five antenna. I was able to talk from Texas to Oklahoma Michigan Nevada Ohio South Carolina and everybody said it was crystal clear. I’ll deal with the 1.7:1. The power output of the radio increased from 60 W and now pegs the meter at 80w. Is that ok? Is the higher swr causing the higher power output?
I really wish I could find a shop that has actual real test equipment. I have an SWR meter and the radios meter and a multimeter.

The 102” and the Mount are exactly 9 feet long.
Changed to the 102” Lost power down to the 60 W and have to contacts I was talking to could not hear me. Switch back to the Francis and regained all of the contacts. Just want to make sure everything is done correctly kind of a perfectionist

Reactions: Slowmover
Well I just conducted real live testing. Lower sideband channel 38, 27.3850 with the Francis 5 foot five antenna. I was able to talk from Texas to Oklahoma Michigan Nevada Ohio South Carolina and everybody said it was crystal clear. I’ll deal with the 1.7:1. The power output of the radio increased from 60 W and now pegs the meter at 80w. Is that ok? Is the higher swr causing the higher power output?
I really wish I could find a shop that has actual real test equipment. I have an SWR meter and the radios meter and a multimeter.

The 102” and the Mount are exactly 9 feet long.
Changed to the 102” Lost power down to the 60 W and have to contacts I was talking to could not hear me.
Switch back to the Francis and regained all of the contacts. Just want to make sure everything is done correctly kind of a perfectionist

Sporadic E contacts are a terrible way to test an antenna. Don’t let that get to your head.

The change in antennas is tricking your meter. No one would know the difference in 60 and 80 watts. It would be totally undetectable.

I played around the other day, with some F Layer propagation....4500 miles. 12 watts showed an S7 on the other end. 500 watts showed an S9. What does that tell me? Prop was good. That’s about all it tells me.

The antenna being 9’, 108”, sounds to me like its way too long. Your SWR results show the same.

Have you considered a NanoVNA? You won’t have to rely on a shop, will give a full picture of your antenna, and is CHEAP.

Nanovna looks nice. Doing some research on it now.

I would really encourage you to stick with the whip. Not everyone can run one on their vehicle due to size, but as that’s not an issue for you, it’s the best antenna you can run.

While shorter antennas can perform acceptably, I have zero doubt a whip will beat any loaded 1/4 wave antenna ever made.

I am like most, I do not depend on internal radiometers, ALWAYS use external SWR meter.
OK for giggles IF the radio's meter is accurate...Yep antenna is too LONG!
The VSWR gets lower(better) the lower you go in frequency that means the antenna is long.
The meter reading more power with higher VSWR is the result of the meter reading the power out PLUS the reflected power at the same time...So makes it appear radio putting out more output.

How long is that adapter/fitting? Looking at the readings listed, yup, it’s too long. Maybe simply removing that disconnect or changing to something shorter is the answer. Or cut the whip.

Brother, . . . in man’s hour of need the answer is always the same:

Chrome

DA01B911-7E72-4D3B-9184-23022EF88A11.jpeg

As was written:

If thy adaptor offend ye, wrap it

If thy meter sin against ye, wrap it

If yon antenna causes ye to sin, wrap it

If it’s for show and not for go, wrap it

Chrome is the answer where no questions appeared.

I would really encourage you to stick with the whip. Not everyone can run one on their vehicle due to size, but as that’s not an issue for you, it’s the best antenna you can run.

While shorter antennas can perform acceptably, I have zero doubt a whip will beat any loaded 1/4 wave antenna ever made.

Agreed. It’s the default “best”.

When one occasionally runs across dissent, I tend to think that it isn’t the antenna at issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.