• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

hinge plate how high a tower can i go safely.

panama

Apr 6, 2005
IOWA
home.mchsi.com
this is a rohn 25 hinge plate pretty nice 1 im planing on drilling the anchor hole bigger to use bigger j bolts bout 3 feet long and 1 inch round.
what i want to know is how tall is to tall with this hinge plate 60 feet 70 feet 80 feet keep in mind it will be free standing but will also have a hazor so i could lower the beam but i plan on useing rope for the guy wires and they would be connected to the bottom of the hazor so when the hazor comes down like for a storm or to service beam it would have no guying system 10-4 so what do you all think is safe!
thanks for all and any info
panama in iowa back out

I had a homemade hinge plate that was built alot stronger than the rohn one I had. It was 100' to the tip of my Imax and never had a bit of trouble with it. I would say if you beef the rohn up you should be able to get to where you wanted

Without getting into your ability to re-engineer a Rohn Tower, I'll just answer your question.

0'

Use the correct base and you can go 40' unguyed. If you want a free standing tower, buy a free standing tower.

I totally missed the part on free standing....If you guy it like the specs say you should be able to go where you want it but as for free standing I would go nothing over 40'....Possibly 50" if you bracket it to the eave of the house

I kinda have the same question. I want to go 30ft with my american tower and then another 7ft with a mast pipe. The tower will get braket at 14ft to garage eave.

What do you all think and what kind of pipe should I use to go 7ft from tower to antenna?

Oh yea, the antenna is a PDL-2 so it is not heavy at all.

Roger

airplane1 said:
What do you all think and what kind of pipe should I use to go 7ft from tower to antenna?
Your set up will work fine! Do not secuire to the acia board however! Secure to the joists!

A 10' piece of 1.5" (2" OD) galvanized water pipe will work great. If the 2" OD is too much, go with 1" galv.

Is the rotor going to be tower mounted or mast mounted? What rotor?

I've used rigid emt for the light stuff also. STAY AWAY FROM FENCE POST! Its cheap, I know! Want to know why its so cheap? Because it is LOW quality.

No self-supporting tower will have a "hinge plate". Towers with hinge plates are designed to secure to the side of a structure or be guyed at ALL levels.

Thanks DTB Radio and Master Chief,

The rotor is a Alliance HD73-1 and I want to try and mount the rotor about 19ft up the tower where it will be at chest level when I am on the roof for easy access if needed. that will make the mast length 18ft total, 11ft of that will be in tower and 7ft sticking out. That way my boom of PDL-2 is at 36ft where the instructions say it works better.

I do have a total length of 48ft of this american tower in great shape with the two mounting holes in each leg, I think it is the heavyer version than the single hole leg american tower.

I realy would like to go all 48ft but I dont know if that is pushing it to far with it sunk in 3x2.5x2.5 of concrete and bracket at 14ft. the bracket will be laged into very strong wood framing in garage at that 14ft mark.

Thanks,
Roger

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.