• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hmm...all in one EQ/Echo unit

So I could wah-wah myself or sustain my “come on”? Hmm. Imagine how long you could hold a “come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn”.

Oh you could be so annoying, what fun that would be on channel 19.

Brother, it’s all in the timing. As in, at an unexpected moment. Bring a smile to everyone.

Yeah, it’d be worth it

I like this,

Agreed, noise gate is cool. It doesn't appear to have an adjustable ratio to keep it from chopping off the last word or part of the first. It only has an adjustable threshold setting. As long as the preset gate values are set for a fast open and slower release it should be just fine.

I agree the EQ may be a bit much for some but the bandwidth seems reasonable if not overdone.

It looks like a shelving type EQ which is a cut or boost for each designated frequency knob so the 12 o'clock position will be flat or off. I see no EQ in/out switch so all knobs need to be at 12 o'clock to be completely flat.

The compressor has useful ratio settings. A 4:1 ratio is typcallly used for musical instruments and recording because it still allows enough dynamic range without squashing their natrual sound. A higher 10:1 or more will control the dynamic range and squash the signal peaks creating more of a limiting function. On a radio, this will give you that hard hitting mic sound and a rock steady audio signal on SSB. It can also produce that breathy sound which I don't care for.

No comment on the echo/delay but it's there for those who use it.

I might want to get one and adapt for my HF radios. The noise gate and compressor is all I would use.

I have heard of people using guitar foot pedals on the mic audio. Here is one with a noise gate for less than $25:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-Noi...441991&hash=item44339eac9b:g:RXAAAOSweI1cKcQS
View attachment 28319
Not a bad idea for a noise gate but, I would use one that gives you more control of the gate values than just the single knob threshold setting.

The ones with a single knob control only have a preset non-user adjustable gate value. If your lucky, this may be ideal for your application. The single knob type only adjusts the threshold which determines at what point the noise is eliminated above the noise floor.

I would recommend always using one that lets your control the ratio which determines the opening and release times so any words won't get chopped off when the gate kicks in or after.

Here is a good one that controls the threshold, release (variable gate time speed), and amount of reduction (gate ratio).

Silencer-large.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.