• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home duplexer / notch filter tuning

archjeb

Jan 26, 2014
Hello folks,

I've read through the Repeater Builder Dot Com site on duplexers both bandpass and notch filter designs. And even though there is the poor man's way of tuning listed, I was wondering about a different approach.

Most of us don't have a service monitor or a scope that can go up to VHF/UHF bands, so we need to look at other alternatives.

Has anyone tried using some of the cheap SDR dongles and leverage the Spectrum Analyzer you get with software like Sigmira Sigmira

If with a remote transceiver on a dummy load, I transmit a signal so its weak; can I then tune the notch filter by using the SDR's antenna feed through the duplexer? I figured I can then tune/attenuate the signal as I watch the SDR software spectrum screen with my tuning efforts.

Its just a a thought....I wasn't sure if anyone has tried to take this approach or not.

-J

Without a doubt a spectrum analyzer is the way to go however there is more than one way to skin a cat as they. Any method of being able to see the signal as you tune will help as opposed to simply listening to it get weaker and weaker. The only thing is the accuracy involved. A spectrum analyzer is very easy to see the signal spike. Try it see. It may be close enough.

I have tried to put a GR-1225 Motorola Radius unit on within the allotted spectrum using the usual split of 600 kHz and it won't work with the supplied duplexer. I have been told the duplexer supplied with this unit is good for a maximum 3 mHz spread and is better suited to 5 mHz. When I got this after it was pulled from service, set up on 151.4 input and 152.000 for output. It had other freqs set up as simplex freqs and another repeater freq at 154.6 input and 155.2 so it showed it worked with a 600 kHZ offset.

I understand this for UHF repeaters, but a VHF setup from them should be capable of a much closer to the offset on the VHF band just below the business or commercial section since they use splits of less than 1 mHz in some installs. It should not require a bulky set of cans and a bunch of other equipment to run a VHF repeater system especially if the repeater is not going to be running more than say 25 watts.

I tried several times to adjust the duplexer using various pieces of equipment, scopes, a dummyload and a rig set to very low power, etc., and still the best I could get was about 1.5-1.7 mHz offset where the repeater would actually work instead of just shutting down right after it started to transmit.

I need something that is compact for portable use and when not in portable mode to sit on a shelf and not have to have a closet full of cans, rack gear etc., to work for local citywide emergency communication nets.

Any suggestions beside the link above?
Thanks
KG6ABF

Last edited:
what are we talking about here?

is somebody trying to use a ..mobile...notch-only..duplexer
to set up a home style repeater on 2M ?

what are we talking about here?

is somebody trying to use a ..mobile...notch-only..duplexer
to set up a home style repeater on 2M ?

I think KG6ABF was hijacking the thread a little bit. What I was originally asking was, what is a lower cost method to tune a notch filter (like the mobile duplexers for home use) without a service monitor?

With SDR dongles being significantly cheaper, has one tried using these to tune and just use a remote hand held radio for the signal source?

I was hoping that someone with a real service monitor has tried this to compare the accuracy against using the cheap SDR dongle...

KG6ABF, if the duplexer was designed for 2M or for 70cm, you are not going to get it to tune for the other band. Additionally, if it was designed for a larger split, the Q of the filter will not allow you to tune for a 600Khz split...its just not allowed in the laws of physics...

-J

Reactions: 1 person
suppose you are trying to use a commercial band 150/170Mhz
gizmo on 2M.

my experience is.
it might peak(or notch) sort of...
but you are not transferring energy efficiently,
most of the energy is lost as VSWR reflection.

using a HT as as a signal generator,
makes things even tougher

Hello folks,

I've read through the Repeater Builder Dot Com site on duplexers both bandpass and notch filter designs. And even though there is the poor man's way of tuning listed, I was wondering about a different approach.

Most of us don't have a service monitor or a scope that can go up to VHF/UHF bands, so we need to look at other alternatives.

Has anyone tried using some of the cheap SDR dongles and leverage the Spectrum Analyzer you get with software like Sigmira Sigmira

If with a remote transceiver on a dummy load, I transmit a signal so its weak; can I then tune the notch filter by using the SDR's antenna feed through the duplexer? I figured I can then tune/attenuate the signal as I watch the SDR software spectrum screen with my tuning efforts.

Its just a a thought....I wasn't sure if anyone has tried to take this approach or not.

-J

Kevin - WJ8G is a friend of mine.
If you would like to talk to Kevin, I can send you a private message with his telephone number.

I think you are a little confused and that you don't understand how a diplexer / duplexer works and what is involved.

The range of the cavities of the filters are frequency dependant.
It isn't as simple as hooking something up and using it.

The cables has to be sweep tested and cut to frequency, it takes 9 cables to hook a 4 cavity - 2 transmit / 2 receive Duplexer to a single antenna.

It is imperative that you have good cables, although LMR 400 in a cable 6 feet long is not all that lossy. At 146.880 the cables would be about 6.2 feet long for one wavelength.

You would not be able to lug around the duplexers once they have been set for a mobile repeater.. You can get away with that with a UHF type radio - since the duplexers for a UHF radio are a lot smaller and weighs a lot less.

The can's are also temperature sensitive, any change in the temperature in the room where they are kept can cause them to open up and cause desense in the receiver.

IT ISN'T THAT THE DUPLEXER IS DESIGNED FOR A .600 SPLIT OR A 1 MHZ SPLIT, IT IS THAT THE DUPLEXER IS DESIGNED FOR 150+ MHz, AND YOU ARE TRYING TO TUNE IT DOWN INTO THE AMATEUR RANGE FOR WHICH IT WAS NOT DESIGNED.

You need to find someone that knows how to build a repeater to help you and you need to find someone with a service monitor to set it up for you.

I can't stress it enough that it appears that you do not know what you are trying to do and trying to do something cheaply will only cost you more in the long run...

ps. - if your thoughts were to use a Diamond X510 type antenna with your mobile repeater, you will have lot's of problems.
You aren't going to be able to lug around hardline - it doesn't work that way.
And if you try to use two separate antenna's, you will need 11 feet of separation between the antenna's to get them to play nice..

VHF repeaters can be built from just about anything, even a old Motorola DeskTrac / MaxTrac and a Mirage amplifier..
You just have to make sure that the cavity filters are deep and the skirts are steep.

I think KG6ABF was hijacking the thread a little bit. What I was originally asking was, what is a lower cost method to tune a notch filter (like the mobile duplexers for home use) without a service monitor

-J

Pardon me but I was not trying to "hijack the thread", I was simply asking about tuning a duplexer that came in the desk top package of a Motorola Radius repeater. The total bandwith of the device I was using covers 144-174. If it had been a 70c (440) machine I wouldn't have needed to retune it since the standard offset in that part of the spectrum is 5 mHz.

2 meters usually has an offset of 600kHz (some use a wider offset but most use 600 kHz as standard for 2 meters) and since the duplexer was tuned for a wider offset
(about 1.5 mHz judging for the channels in the software readout), I was just asking if it could be reduced to work in the more standard fashion. It would be in keeping with the thread since I wanted to do it without having to use a service monitor.

So, please, if you would let us all know why you chose to make a point of my post when it was directly related and more detailed in description in using a device intended and designed to cover the portion of the spectrum I asked about; as I simply wanted to know if it could or had been done by anyone here. I am asking as it exists currently without needing to add additional outside cavity filters or other devices due to space restrictions.

The package was intended by the manufacturer to cover the spectrum of 144-174 mHz and researching it I wanted to know if it would tune to a tighter offset. Some info says it can while other recommend using a separate set of tunable notch cavities. I was simply asking if anyone had done it or knew of a way without a service monitor to do so. It was directly in keeping with the original questions posed in the thread preceding my post.

KG6ABF, if the duplexer was designed for 2M or for 70cm, you are not going to get it to tune for the other band. Additionally, if it was designed for a larger split, the Q of the filter will not allow you to tune for a 600Khz split...its just not allowed in the laws of physics...
-J

I wasn't asking nor did I say I wanted to use a duplexer for something that was not intended or designed to work in the frequency range I was going to employ it for. I wanted to use it for 2 meters and it covers 2 meters. In fact some of these very same units were in use as repeaters which is why I picked it up in the first place. I am aware of several repeaters in the past listing this equipment. Some of the owners who had the additional space employed some outside tunable notch filters as well. I don't have the space for those nor do I want the added trouble of locating and buying them if I don't have to.

I intended this repeater for limited use as an emergency unit or for an event such as a weekend gathering/festival type event. A low power (less than 25 watts) to cover the necessary area for the duration of the limited event. It was not intended for permanent fixed use but more so a portable repeater. I had access to a portable unit years ago similar to this installed in a trailer and that was retired many years ago and so the need to find a replacement. That unit was manufacture by Motorola but I didn't set it up only use it once it was dropped off. I don't have a lot of experience in setting up repeater which was why I asked.

This desktop unit consisting of transmitter, receiver and duplexer covered the portion of the spectrum in which the allocation of 2 meter is found, it should be possible to tune it to a tighter or smaller offset. I simply stated what the frequencies and offset were at when I acquired the unit, that being tuned at a larger offset. I did not have a service monitor and wanted information with regard to if it had been done by anyone and could it be done. An answer to either of those questions would have sufficed to answer my inquiry.

Hope that will clear up for archjeb any confusion as to what I was asking about in my post.

Also wanted to says thanks to Browningman for his thoughtful response. One point again, the frequency coverage of the unit is designed to and covers what the operating tunable bandwith needs to be and in this case between144 to 148 mHz.

Since this unit I have was designed to operate between 144-174 (specs show a listing of 146-174, but manufacturer data sheets list an even wider frequency range of operation capabilities) and I want to set it up with in that operating range, it should be possible to tune the duplexer to a workable result. It is capable of putting out 45 watts, but I would run it at much less not exceeding 25 watts max, and most likely even less around 10-15 depending on the event and area of coverage.

Based upon the specs it would seem there is a way to use this desktop unit retuned and at reduced power to function as a temporary repeater.
The desk top repeater was designed to cover the freq range and internal duplexer specs from Motorola says it can be adjusted and/or tuned to desired splits, then it should be possible to do it, at least it seems so.

Hope that clears up any possible concerns by readers here of my intent and questions concerning the unit I asked about.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?