• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Home made antenna.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I have been to a few sites regarding home built antennas but being new to the radio hobbie i cant really understand how they are built,to much tech stuff i guess.Are there any sites that i could go to are are not quite so hard to understand?

This is the place to learn all about the CBs and anything related, just take the time and read and man the info never stops! :D

King Mudduck said:
I have been to a few sites regarding home built antennas but being new to the radio hobbie i cant really understand how they are built,to much tech stuff i guess.Are there any sites that i could go to are are not quite so hard to understand?

It is very easy to make your OWN "Big Coil" antenna, and the parts are available at your local home and plumbing supply outlet!

10' feet of 1/4" copper tubing

6 1/2" X 1/8" Brass Bushings

1 short section of 3/4' PVC pipe

3/8" opening crimp connectors (2) to fit the 1/4" tubing

3 feet of 3/4" copper tubing (see thread in "discussions" section.)

First decide how LONG you want this antenna to be. Cut this lower mast to suit your requirements--OR you can leave it out and go with base loading. Play with it and see which works best!

Next insert a Brass Bushing into each end of the 3' foot section of 3/4" tubing and secure with JB Weld. Good idea to rivet these in place as well!

Now insert 2 Bushings into the ends of the PVC after cutting the PVC to about 6-8" length. Rivet these in place/JB Weld. This will serve as the center support for your coil antenna.

Now wind about 6-7 turns of the 1/4" copper tubing around a 3-4" form such as a coffee or nut can. Keep the coil turns evenly spaced around this form. Solder the larger crimp connectors one on each end.

You will also need 3 or 4 3/8" X 24 stainless studs and/or collet nuts. These can be found a hamfests and swapmeets. It may also be good to chase the threads in these bushings with a 3/8" X 24 tap.

Insert the studs to hold the coil in place. The lower mast and whip will keep the coil in place. Attach about a 3-4 foot whip and tune. You may have to fiddle with it a bit to get the combination that suits you, but it is an easy build and cheap (about $10 in parts). Experiment and enjoy. The more you make, the better you'll get at it!

CWM

but should the antenna parts be hollow? doesnt current flow on the surface of the conductor? seems like it would cause some kinda wierd effect.
I dunno, just a thought. Honestly1 Just a thought.

rachet_jaw,
Hollow/solid, about the only difference is in weight, no difference in radiation. If one is easier to 'deal' with than the other for you, that's the type I'd use. 'Hollow' also cuts down on cost. If it conducts, it can be used as antenna material. A '52 Desoto would be kinda hard to get up on the tower, but it'd radiate!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.