1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Homebrew External *S* Signal Meter for 27mhz

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by JC_enfield, Jan 15, 2012.

1. JC_enfield

JC_enfield Member

Hi all,

Not been on here for a while so happy new year etc.

I have a friend who has a radio with a digital RF signal meter.... basically he doesn't like it and is tempted to go buy a new radio as a result.

does anyone have any plans on making a external inline Signal meter. I have about 5 needle meters from old CB radios in a box of junk and was hoping I could knock something up.

any plans or circut diagrams etc would be much appreciated :)

Many thanks

2. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

re

i could use one for my ar3300 i hate them dummy lights

3. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

Replacing a digital S/RF display with an analog meter can be done, but it requires getting into the radio circuits.

analog.meter 1.jpg

Install an spdt miniature RCA jack on the rear panel of the radio and wire it as shown above. Try to use a meter that gives the same readings as the LED display. This way when the Analog meter is unplugged the LED display will display the correct readings. If the analog meter requires more or less drive, the sampling circuits will have to be readjusted, so the LED display will no longer be in calibration