• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Honda civic and the fight of the cb radio

New cb user

Nov 1, 2013
So I'm trying to figure out where I should place the radio in my 97 4 door civic. I have a regency cr-230 from the 70s I want to instal in my car. As far as I can tell the best place is where the tape deck was before I changed the interior plastic to something that was not so beat up. I changed my drink holder out for one that hads an attached storage shelf instead. Now I did think that it would be handy to keep the other one incase I ran into a situation where I thought it would be handy. I did some measuring and found that to my luck I would have about 1/4 inch of empty space on one side which is ideal because the mik hooks up on the side. Unfortunately the CB is to tall so it would not sit flush with the rest of my dash. I also have the issue with going back to the old hassle of fighting a drink holder with a protective shield that grabbed drinks and cause many spills in the car the lid never stayed doe so I would have to remove it. Ontop of things I don't want to loose the space for storage that I gained by downgrading my interior to a lower class. Does anybody have a better idea on where I could put this thing so it's out of the way? I know this is an old unit that many would say is not worth messing with but to me its better than nothing. I would place it I too of the dash but I have about the worst case of OCD and hate wires being visa me all the way to that port by the windshield. Mik wires don't bother me but the ones that power equipment really mess with me. I thought about ontop of my center console but I would like to be able to see what channel I'm I and doing that really makes that difficult. Forgive me is I seem a little picky but unlike a truck I think a cb in a car should take up less room. In a truck under the dash or overhead would be what I would do but this car is to small for that.

If it has a center console you can mount it on the side. I did that on my Mazda B2000 truck and my MX-6. I've always wanted to mount mine overhead. Or you can get a Uniden PRO520XL from Amazon. Those will practically fit almost anywhere. My CRE-8900 is DIN sized and fits in a Single DIN radio slot.
CRE 8900, DTB Radio's Webstore
Or a bigger car.

I might buy the other cb latter but I'm short on money right now. I think the mounting it on its side is probably the best way to go for now. Thanks for the tip.

I had a VW Golf that I ran a Cobra 132XLR that way in. Really the easiest and doesn't kill too much passenger space if you have somebody riding with you. Another alternative I've seen is mounting it vertically on the back of a console. Not easy to change settings, but I'm assuming from your previous post that you will be staying on either a local channel or channel 19 for road side help. So, that might work for you too.

And remember, OCD is not a disease... it's a disorder. :laugh:

RT307

Because the amount of ground plane on that tiny car is very small, don't expect to reach out further than 2-5 miles with just a radio.
You can definitely tune the antenna fine , but range will be quite limited. Been there done that.

Because the amount of ground plane on that tiny car is very small, don't expect to reach out further than 2-5 miles with just a radio.
You can definitely tune the antenna fine , but range will be quite limited. Been there done that.

2-5 miles is all I need. I'm using it for emergency use such as when my car breacks down. Where I live there are areas where cell phones won't work because of hills on both sides of the road. I can reach front and foward with the radio but not on the sides. I only want this thing for if my care breaks down in one of these spots

Toss in in the trunk with a Lil Wilson and pull it out when you need it. Permanent mounting means you'll use it often.

I dash mounted a Uniden 980 in a Tacoma. The depth of most radios are they're limiting factor for dash mounting. I'm looking for one to put in the dash of my Jetta for road trips and am now leaning towards the remote faced ham radios due to their size. I want SSB for entertainment and trucker reports for traffic on 19.

go with the uniden pro510. mount it to the center console passenger side
put your antenna directly on center of roof.
thiss will give ya the best results possible

Toss in in the trunk with a Lil Wilson and pull it out when you need it. Permanent mounting means you'll use it often.

I dash mounted a Uniden 980 in a Tacoma. The depth of most radios are they're limiting factor for dash mounting. I'm looking for one to put in the dash of my Jetta for road trips and am now leaning towards the remote faced ham radios due to their size. I want SSB for entertainment and trucker reports for traffic on 19.

That's a good idea. For the safety of my antenna I will use a fixed mount but my radio I can protect in the trunk.

...the antenna???:laugh:

sorry I thought you meant the radio. Thought the antenna I plan on using is to long. It's a 5 foot firestick. My car is going to look funny I I have seen worse. I passed a car the other day with one that had at least 9 antennas on it. Looked like a porcupine.

Sorry but that is wrong. The amount of groundplane for 11m is just fine and here in Europe we have no problem doing 30 miles with 4 or 5 watts with antennas mounted on our "tiny" cars.

If the range was that low it is because you did a crap job of the installation. A friend of mine did a poor installation job on his 18 wheeler and had a range of 2 to 3 miles with 100W...

Reactions: Roadhog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.