• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hooking up a sweet 16 help please

TruckerKevin

KD9NTD
Nov 9, 2017
Buckner, Illinois
www.qrz.com
I am not sure how to correctly hook this all up. The more I try to think it out, the more confused I am making it.

I have a Bearcat CB, an RM Italy 100 watt kicker mounted on top of it, an MFJ versa tuner, and a Texas Star sweet 16 (I think thats a dx 1600?). I wanted the rm italy kicker in here to feed in some watts to the texas star since its a high drive amp. The MFJ tuner is a must because my SWR is a tad higher than I like and the antenna is out of reach until the ground dries.

So, coax coming in from outside antenna, goes to the antenna side of the sweet 16, then from the sweet 16, coax jumper to the antenna in side of the MFJ tuner, then from the MFJ, coax jumper to the antenna in side of the RM Italy, and from the italy, a jumper to the radio?

Does this sound right? Or do I have this backwards? I am afraid of sending power into the kicker and popping it.

Thanks
Kevin

So the tuner should be the first thing coming out of the radio?

My SWR is 1.7, I think I recall reading somewhere that it needs to be 1.3 or lower to run this amp, does anyone disagree?

If the info is wrong, I can use the tuner on my ham gear instead

So the tuner should be the first thing coming out of the radio?

My SWR is 1.7, I think I recall reading somewhere that it needs to be 1.3 or lower to run this amp, does anyone disagree?

If the info is wrong, I can use the tuner on my ham gear instead

Most hams will tell you the 1.7 swr is just fine. They aren't wrong but cb amps are usually ran beyond the ratings of the transistors and the Chinese 2879s are not as robust as the Toshiba 2879. I would do what you have to do get the swr below 1.3 and run the amplifier conservatively. 8 2sc2879s are good for 800 watts. If you push it you may have problems. Make sure your tuner is rated for more power than the amp can make.

Good advice above.

I agree with trying to get the SWR lower. I’d also add that if you do use the tuner I would make darn certain it’s rated for at least the output of a DX1600.

Reactions: Tokin
What 543 said and if its full of HG pills id keep my drive to 80 watts or less, Toshiba's id be even more careful with and keep it under 100 watts drive. Keep the genie in the bottle.

Reactions: 2NC995
This Maco V58 was a complete bitch to try and get the SWR low. I almost lost my religion trying. We worked on it half the day before we just cried uncle and went with it the best we could. Many were telling me that they would probably drop once we raised the antenna, but nope that did not happen. They were 1.7 on the earth and they stayed right at 1.7 once we raised the tower to 60 feet.

I messed with the ring, plus the normal adjustment point. It replaced an Antron 99. I kinda wished I would have kept the Antron. They were below 1.3 on the same tower/pole. I never had to mess with it.

My amp is now in line and everything seems to be working good. I am glad I asked,,,,, I was about to connect this all wrong

Reactions: Tokin and 2NC995
Kevin, Good deal that you have it running.

Can you say what you decided on for connections, and how everything seems to be working?

What kind of drive/output are you seeing from the DX1600?

Reactions: Tokin
Dan I am not sure because I do not have a wattmeter in line right now, but if I remember the last time we checked it, I was putting out right at 1000. Not too sure if I should be getting more or not, plus the meter that I used to use was really old and I am not too sure it was very accurate.

I just brought the antenna coax from the antenna to the tuner, then from there I went to the TX, then to the rm italy, and then on to the radio :). I worked backwards there

Reactions: 2NC995
This Maco V58 was a complete bitch to try and get the SWR low. I almost lost my religion trying. We worked on it half the day before we just cried uncle and went with it the best we could. Many were telling me that they would probably drop once we raised the antenna, but nope that did not happen. They were 1.7 on the earth and they stayed right at 1.7 once we raised the tower to 60 feet.

I messed with the ring, plus the normal adjustment point. It replaced an Antron 99. I kinda wished I would have kept the Antron. They were below 1.3 on the same tower/pole. I never had to mess with it.

My amp is now in line and everything seems to be working good. I am glad I asked,,,,, I was about to connect this all wrong
Sucks you had a problem with yours. I put my Maco V 5/8 up in 3 hours by myself. First new antenna I had ever assembled by myself. The key is measurements. The total length of the v5/8-5000 is from just below the mounting bolt hole on the base to the tip. Took me more time to find my feed point to be honest. Tuned it on a pipe 6' off the ground. Love this antenna and im thinking about buying a Maco Comet beam set next.
Glad you got your rig hooked up. Hope to hear you out there.
Rubber side down, stay safe.

Reactions: Slowmover
Dan I am not sure because I do not have a wattmeter in line right now, but if I remember the last time we checked it, I was putting out right at 1000. Not too sure if I should be getting more or not, plus the meter that I used to use was really old and I am not too sure it was very accurate.

I just brought the antenna coax from the antenna to the tuner, then from there I went to the TX, then to the rm italy, and then on to the radio :). I worked backwards there

Understood, Kevin, and thanks for addressing my question.

A watt meter will be your friend. Stay away from Dosy. Truck stop quality anymore and not worth the money. Seriously, if you want those pills/amp to last keep it under 100 watts input, 80 for HG pills. Unfortunately HG pills are notorious for poor quality control and as 543 mentioned are not built near as robust as Toshibas were. With that said if its Toshiba's in there you want to be extra nice to them since unmatched replacements are $200+ each and the only place to get the guaranteed real thing is RF Parts. Be nice to it and it will last you a long time and be worth more when you decide to sell. Over drive it and youll let the genie out.

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.