• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hot Rope?!?

GnG8d

Jun 28, 2010
Ohio
Has anybody used this stuff? I've read of the braid creating a higher impedance than a solid or even stranded conductor. It definitely looks easier to work with, but it wouldn't be worth it at the cost of performance.

Has anybody used this stuff? I've read of the braid creating a higher impedance than a solid or even stranded conductor. It definitely looks easier to work with, but it wouldn't be worth it at the cost of performance.

Used it for a temporary fence for some goats once. I am not sure we are speaking of the same thing though.

is this what you're talking about ?

The WireMan - Order & Info Desk

“HOT ROPE” Antenna Wire

Perfect for “Knapsack,” “DXpedition,” “Kite / Weather Balloon,” and

“Field Day” Antennas

Think about it for stringing up a quad or hex beam!

Use it as a conductive rope, tying it in a knot using a thimble for protection, with a breaking strength of at least 475 pounds!

Use it by opening the tinned copper braid a few inches from the end, and bringing rope out of the hole. Anchor the rope to pole, tree or tower and solder the braid to wire for an end fed long wire with the OD of a 5 AWG wire!

Use it as a dipole and carefully cut the braid at the center insulator without cutting the rope and comb out enough braid to solder or wire nut to ladderline(or coax, balun, etc) from the shack, giving you a tin plated copper dipole with legs the size of a 5 AWG wire – about 3 times the radiating surface of a 14 AWG copper or CCS wire!

Attachments

• 512.jpg
    512.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 38
i wouldn't expect "tinned copper braid" to last long exposed to weather .
but i have never used the stuff so i could definitely be wrong .

I use PolyRope for the horses Superidgit, it's got I think 6 small strands of stainless woven in the nylon rope for charging.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.