• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How bad is it in your area?

badfish

Dec 1, 2008
Just wondering how bad you guys have it with your local's on regular 40ch. AM? I'm not talking about skip...just your local talkers at night (or day) when the skip is gone. I'm in the Rockford, IL area and most of these guys are horrible.
I realize it's C.B. radio and any jerk with $100 can set up a base station but man, most of these guys have no respect or common courtesy when talking.

This is the normal crew:

Drunks that stay keyed for over 5 minutes with nothing to say

Drunks that only look to start "on air" fights

Old burned out party animals that have the answer to everything

Guys running 100's of watts to be "above" the rest

Ones that talk like they were born on a CB that use terms like "I just got down" and "No doubt about it"

Ones that must have a permanent Superman symbol imbedded in their chest and can kick you a*s

Ones that key over other people, just to be ignorant

Ones that have a higher opinion than your's 98% of the time.

Soooooo, is it like this in your area too??

sounds like fun!!

cb is dead over here in ne pa in my area .nothing, not a peep,nada.....took my base down .barely key the mobile .all we got is ch19 .

years n years n years ago we had what you got ,now that was cb`in.

embrace it ,once its gone you will soon see its boring without those guys.

I had the same issue as you at one time. SSB radio was one solution that worked for me. But even that has some jokers. We are ultimately discussing human nature here, so keep that in mind. If SSB cannot allow you use the radio (doubtful); then get your Ham tech license and not worry about it.

Interference and less than polite behavior is all too common on CB/AM mode. So many have shifted to SSB for that reason.

Reactions: 1 person
I am lucky in a way...there is a small group of us that hang out.Most of us are ham operators and it is great. We have a breakfast club that we have been doing for years now. Every morning we get together very very early in the morning and have our coffee and chat.
But there are alot of down right idiots out there! To much power, to many noise toys and alot of fighting and cursing.
I guess some things will never change

Dawn

thats CB RADIO
if everyone played by the rules how much fun would there be?

and ham bands can be just as the same, only with cliques
same mentality
bogarts braggers
rudeness
smart ass comments
barny fifes
super egos

like ROBB said theres ssb ? lil tamer
theres also freebanding

it not just localized to radio
plenty of internet forums that conduct the same rituals
i suppose you havent been to a tavern ?
how about a sporting event?
nascar race?
boxing event?
how about fox tv?
its basic human nature to act up .
i also would assume that you never have "pranked" someone before either?

if it wasnt for some of the drama that goes on everyday in the world , life would be completely pointless
if its too rough the knob will rotate counter clock wise, just as the channel selector rotates in either direction

We have a little of everything here, 6 is the Superbowl and Always has traffic as I'm not that far from Chicago and also 11 seems to be the new 6 around here. 15 is the local garbage haulers that haul from Chicago downtown to Bradley, Il. Then since I am close to a few major highways I have 19 and the locals here on 23 and then another group of older gentlemen who feel that 38LSB is their local chit chat channel. As for idiots they are everywhere pick a channel. I guess CB is alive and well here:w00t: but when I lived in Glendale or Mesa Arizona other than 19 it was silent.:eek:

:w00t: but when I lived in Glendale or Mesa Arizona other than 19 it was silent.:eek:

Dont know how long you have been gone for... but it is still about the same down there in the "Big Ugly" as i call it. Phx and its metro areas.. Channel 19 for the idiots and the drunks a few on 38lsb, Where I am there is NO ONE on the air, That is why i hung up the mic for 13+ years....

To get to Phx from here you need 500+ watts then pray some one hears you and gives a crap...

Other than 19 when the truckers go by.. its QUIET:bored: Thankfully the skip came back when I dusted off the Ol' Galaxy and put it in the mobile.. Or it probally would have got put back on the shelf when I got another vehicle...

So count your blessings or what ever you may want to call it that atleast there are other radio's in your area that transmits something:bdh:

We have the regular locals about 6 or so and then all the new stations (a few) and then a few of the drunks who love to cause trouble every other night, I like a few beers and a shot or puff but shit can get real ugly fast. And then I am sandbaggen or a sandbagger (sit back and listen)When the shit starts.

When skip is in we get Mexico or california.......same thing.
When there is no skip......maybe one or two people.

Ones that talk like they were born on a CB that use terms like "I just got down" and "No doubt about it".:p:
Don't forget BREAKER BREAKER!

Ones that talk like they were born on a CB that use terms like "I just got down" and "No doubt about it".:p:
Don't forget BREAKER BREAKER!

Don't forget the classic "Break for a radio check" or "Break for a 10-36". Of course after all that nonsense "What's your 10-20 good buddy".
Drivers are too busy texting to have anything to do with CB anymore.

same here

no cb activity here anymore. when i gave up on cb 15 years ago
there was so many people on cb here. when i got back on a few months ago. the airwaves are dead here. the only activity here is ch. 5 a local trucking company.
if it was not for dx i would give it up for another 10 years

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.