• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do i get the right size serpentine belt?

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
I have a 400 amp alternator on the way and the pully on it is smaller than stock oem. so how do i go about getting the right size serpentine belt to fit proprly? I tried to have my mechanic help me but they are like "we dont want to be involved with aftermarket parts and install", Psshh. I hope i can just walk in and get it from napa or auto zone etc. So how do i figure out this belt size thing? The alternator manufacturer says the belt will need to be about 1/2" to1" shorter than stock

Last edited:

The widths of the belts are all dependent on the number of ribs. Mark the factory belt and measure around it to get the length.

You can also look up a replacement belt for your vehicle on the website of your favorite auto parts store. The specs should give you the number of ribs and the length. You can check it against the link below...

Most places have gates belts or can cross reference them if you find what you need. Serpentine belts are called micro V belts if you use this website.

https://www.gatesautocat.com/

Reactions: Slowmover
The widths of the belts are all dependent on the number of ribs. Mark the factory belt and measure around it to get the length.

You can also look up a replacement belt for your vehicle on the website of your favorite auto parts store. The specs should give you the number of ribs and the length. You can check it against the link below...

Most places have gates belts or can cross reference them if you find what you need. Serpentine belts are called micro V belts if you use this website.

https://www.gatesautocat.com/

To add to what this gentleman said, the cross-reference numbers can be a problem where small variations exist in length.

Where did you order from?
I seen some on fleabay recently out of knox TN
I ordered it from the MechMan website.
Also that gates site is for newer cars only, they dont have my suburban. I really wish i could just pay someone to do it but i cant find anyone. Not even stereo shops, go figure

Id do the truck driver check for belt tightness, install new alternator try and fit old bet then if it goes on check again and take a strong guess. Most any auto parts store will let you swap them out till you get proper fit

Reactions: r carl and walterjn
Thats whats hard to is all these parts stores are like i dont know, the computer says, etc. Pshh i bet 95% of them probably dont turn wrench or are even into cars. Seems that way anyway.

Reactions: S&W357
I ordered it from the MechMan website.
Also that gates site is for newer cars only, they dont have my suburban. I really wish i could just pay someone to do it but i cant find anyone. Not even stereo shops, go figure

Use the dimensions search on the gates site to get a part number after you measure the belt, subtract and figure out what you need. Year, make and model aren't important.

My stock belt is 97.175inches -1" gives me 96.175 inches. Ok so now if i go to the parts store and tell them i need a 96.175 inch belt i guarantee they will say what kind of car and year. Then i will have to explain what im doing then they are gonna say well i need a car and year, i cant get one by length

Reactions: S&W357 and Tokin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?