• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do this homemade loft find antenna work ??146mhz

davev8

Gold Star/Marvin Award Member
Apr 26, 2011
east cost lincolnshire England
this was posted on my FB page i will cut and paste my FB reply which abit of a description and my thoughts but you need to see the photos in the link to the original article below but what i am asking what type of antenna is it and how do it work any links to articles about this antenna would be handy ................................................it is interesting ...reading the text it appears that the vertical stub don't touch the main radiator so not like a j pole ..the coax that go up the center of the tube the center of the coax is connected to only the stub that is not connected to the main tube ..the brade is connected to the main tube...so i guess the stub must be capacitively coupling to the main radiator like the inner rod on a gamma match don't physically touch the outer tube ...tonight i will ask on the world wide DX forum ..some clever bods on thier ...i have a feeling more maybe going on with this antenna than is 1st apparent.... EDIT i am guessing the radials are not ground radials but a captacant hat
LINK
https://ham.stackexchange.com/quest...Gb0TC25dfcxKcBn-kdDlq57cdtgmiZt3yyJZr4R4tZyjE

Thanks dave

its a homebrew direct fed j-pole with radials part way down the mast,

a j-pole need not be shorted at the base of the stub & the coax tapped up the stub for 50 ohms, you can direct feed a j-pole like the one in the link,

when you find the correct wire length & spacing for the tube & wire diameters you are using you will get a low vswr.

Reactions: midnight special
you see all sorts of strange ideas with homebrew antennas, i imagine they were trying to keep currents off the coax braid.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?