• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do transformer based CW audio filters work? I have a Beam Filter. Naval Surplus.

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
I believe it is in the 1000-1050Mhz range. I have not had a chance to take it apart. It was built the Transformer Supply CO. for the US Navy and is surplus from WWII.

I have never heard of a transformer being that narrow in my life. I just wanted the case because it is heavy wrinkle finish steel case. The metal is prob. 1/4 inch thick. It is seamless or is welded and had the seams nicely ground down and then painted with heavy wrinkle finish. I am thinking about mounting a phase rotator, compressor and preamp in it for mobile use all in the one housing. Each stage will be selectable so you can use only what is needed. Compression can be problematic in a mobile app due to background noise.

I am playing around with idea of having each stage selectable for recieve audio as well. Passing the audio through a phase rotator/all pass filter on receive can be a real help for received audio for the reasons it can be great on transmit audio.

These cases are insanely strong and they have heavy mounting flange pre-drilled so you can mount them in your car in such a way that they will never budge in a car accident.

If you drill holes and mount to the radio always use some type of thread locking compound. If you want it to be easy to get apart but rock solid in use rube some RTV intot he threads prior to assembly and than once assembled it will never back out but will be easy to remove later. On car's that have head bolts and other bolts that pass through water jackets it was long common practice to put RTV on the threads to prevent leaks and act as a thread locker. Just aother option if you do not keep Loctite around the house. I have never had a nut back out in a radio and I dount I ever will.

I have played around with the idea of letting the AGC control the compressor and pre-amp but it is not as easy as it sounds when trying to get it work seamlessly.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated