• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you get rid of.....

pumphouse

Sep 2, 2005
Anyone?

I bought a uniden grant xl radio that has talkback built in. When i turn up the mic gain the talkback has major feedback thru the radios speaker. How do i take this unwanted added feature out? Help!

What do i look for? Is there some resistor that I have to remove?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Don't take my word for it but I think a coil or a resistor is added between the external jack & the PA jack; whether or not to snip that I would not be able to tell U that. What U may or may not want to do is get an external speaker with the Talk-back feature
included if U have the cash; does help to tell how U sound. Or maybe relocating the speaker a little further away may help :? :? :?

makes me always wonder why these guys insist on using smaller valued resistors for talkback ? 9 times out of 10 it just causes feedback problems unless the users know how to deal with it like gohusan said . Many times if the users are using NC type mic's that always tends to help where it should , even stock mic's can help in these situations. There's also on/off switches that can be used or even variables used to control the volume of the talkback. If the cheap mans talkback is used (that will work as good as anything else) higher valued resistors would take care of most feedback problems.

Librium said:
Speaker jack and Pa jack will have a resistor soldered across it.
Remove it.

Problem solved!!!! Just like you said, there was a resistor soldered across the PA and speaker jack. NO more talkback!!!!

And just to think a local "tech" was going to charge me $20 to remove one resistor!

Much Thanks again. This forum is awesome. Keep up the good work guys :)

Chalk one up for Lib ! and you keep things up Pump ! You'll be a golden screwdriver artist before you know it :) , not sure if you wanted the talkback or not Pump ? but in the future if you do ? you would only need to go to a higher valued resistor (as the one you took out) to quiet it down, in turn making it more pleasent to turn things up more. I think TB is used more where echo boards and mic's are concerned.

Switch Kit said:
Chalk one up for Lib ! and you keep things up Pump ! You'll be a golden screwdriver artist before you know it :) , not sure if you wanted the talkback or not Pump ? but in the future if you do ? you would only need to go to a higher valued resistor (as the one you took out) to quiet it down, in turn making it more pleasent to turn things up more. I think TB is used more where echo boards and mic's are concerned.

I think he said he wanted to "remove that unwanted feature".

Jesus, $20 to remove a resistor LOL.
We are in the wrong line of work :shock:

Times I wish I made the grade Lib , 85.00 dollars for a channeled 148/Grant !! 25.00 tune AM 35 to 50 tune on AM/SSB , 10 to 20 bucks for talkback / 10 to 20 on wiring a mic / 25 to 50 for alignment / 60 to 80 and then some on a echo board install (depending on the board of choice) noise toys from 40 to 60 depending on the toy. Broken switches and L.E.D.s the list and the costs go on and on. A tech once told me that he really didn't get paid for the labor of changing a wire from point A to B , he got paid because "he knew" where they went in the first place. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.