• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How far from power lines?

Highland Ranger

Aug 28, 2005
I have an IMAX 2000 on the way.

Can't go on roof, was thinking about a yard mount.

How far from power lines (not high voltage, regular stepped down residential lines) do I need to be to minimize interference?

When I drive under the lines to get out of the driveway with the mobile, I don't notice any interference . . . . .not sure what that means.

I have my antenna Imax2000 about 40ft from power lines and dont have any problems ,but the futher the better just in case it were to fall you wouldnt want to hit the power line so guying the the mast is a good idea. I am sure some other members will give you some better info than i can. Im still learning myself.

Highland Ranger,
As 'Sarge' said, as far as possible is the idea. And also as 'Sarge' said, you want it as least far enough away that if it falls it doesn't fall into the power lines (just common sense, right?). From there it's sort of a 'try it and see' thingy. If there's no interference where ever you end up putting it, that's probably far enough. If there's interference (fairly bad) you can always complain to the power copmpany, and or the utilities commision. If you do complain I don't think I'd hold my breath, but they really do have to clean it up. That's why the Utility Commision! If you don't have any/much problems mobile I don't think I'd worry about it too much... Good luck.
- 'Doc

Typically the lower the voltage the less noise.If it is just the 110/220 volt drop line into the house you should have no problems at all.Just make sure it is far enough away so it does not come into contact with the lines should it fall.

House lines are buried - these are small street lines after the step down transfomers - I think they are 660v.

And confirmed, no noise directly under it with the mobile.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.