• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How much padding on the input does a typical 2 x 8 Amplifier use?

dieselburner

Apr 25, 2011
I have a XForce X-800 with 2ea 2SC2290's driving 8ea 2SC2879's. My 24 watts pep is not driving the 2290's enough to reach rated power on the amp. What resister is typical in these amplifiers? Thanks in advance

What are you getting out of it? What X-Force rates it at and what the transistors are rated for are two different things. Manufacturers like to use the "drive the piss out of and don't worry about splatter" rating.

Reactions: 3 people
Whats happening is that I can get full output (about 900- 1000w) when I drive the box on sideband, but when I switch to am I can only get 300 watts. If I had a few more watts of drive I could get it up where it goes or I think I can check the resistance on the input to see if it is correct.

I have a XForce X-800 with 2ea 2SC2290's driving 8ea 2SC2879's. My 24 watts pep is not driving the 2290's enough to reach rated power on the amp. What resister is typical in these amplifiers? Thanks in advance

24 watts PEP is plenty to drive a pair of 2290's. Where you can loose wattage is in the feeding of that amp. Those big numbers amp builders like to quote are @15 volts into a dummy load.

Is this a base or mobile set-up? If mobile how big is your alternator? How many battery's are you running? As it is now how much voltage drop are you seeing at keyup?

Whats happening is that I can get full output (about 900- 1000w) when I drive the box on sideband, but when I switch to am I can only get 300 watts. If I had a few more watts of drive I could get it up where it goes or I think I can check the resistance on the input to see if it is correct.

If your only seeing 300 watts from a 2x8 on AM you have much more to worry about then 24 watts input.

I think, with those readings, 300/900 watts on AM/SSB, you are seeing the 'average' useful outputs on either mode. Something close to 300 watts AM is the equivalent of something close to 900 watts SSB if you are talking about the same amplifying devices and the abilities of those devices. In either case those devices are operating at their maximum ability, probably. I think that's about as good as it gets...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.