• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to CQ with club information in your call

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I was asked recently for a good way to CQ on the club call frequencies and use the club information in your call. I figure if one person has the question, there might be others, as well so here's the recommendation I came up with. Others may have a better idea. I'll demonstrate using my callsign...substitute with your own ;)

"CQ CQ CQ 10/20 meters, CQ CQ CQ 10/20 meters. This is alpha echo 6 lima xray, alpha echo 6 lima xray, AE6LX with the Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club calling CQ 10/20 meters. CQ CQ CQ 10/20 meters. This is alpha echo 6 lima xray, alpha echo 6 lima xray, AE6LX with the Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club calling CQ 10/20 meters, listening."

Note that I don't say I'm calling FOR Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio members because I'm not JUST calling for club members. If I get one, great but if I don't, I might just get a new contact and member here. If they ask for the club callsign, feel free to give it out, but we should not use it in our CQ.

Reactions: 1 person

Was wondering how the club call would be used?.
Our local club call (VK2AFY) is used whilst txing from the club shack but as w9wdx is a net based club how will this call be used?.

... (edit) I'm not JUST calling for club members. If I get one, great but if I don't, I might just get a new contact and member here. If they ask for the club callsign, feel free to give it out, but we should not use it in our CQ.

OK,........... soooooo, when is the Special Event operation scheduled?;)

I was asked recently for a good way to CQ on the club call frequencies and use the club information in your call. I figure if one person has the question, there might be others, as well so here's the recommendation I came up with. Others may have a better idea. I'll demonstrate using my callsign...substitute with your own ;)

"CQ CQ CQ 10/20 meters, CQ CQ CQ 10/20 meters. This is alpha echo 6 lima xray, alpha echo 6 lima xray, AE6LX with the Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club calling CQ 10/20 meters. CQ CQ CQ 10/20 meters. This is alpha echo 6 lima xray, alpha echo 6 lima xray, AE6LX with the Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio Club calling CQ 10/20 meters, listening."

Note that I don't say I'm calling FOR Worldwidedx.com Amateur Radio members because I'm not JUST calling for club members. If I get one, great but if I don't, I might just get a new contact and member here. If they ask for the club callsign, feel free to give it out, but we should not use it in our CQ.

I don't know Tim. To me it sounds like you would be operating from a club station using that format as opposed to being a club member located at your own base/mobile station. :confused:

OK,........... soooooo, when is the Special Event operation scheduled?;)

One special event I'd like to to is activate a couple of SOTA peaks around here. We have some of the tallest peaks in North America and most of them have never been operated from. I'm thinking that new KX3 and a Buddipole on top of say, Mt. San Jacinto would be a fun club special event.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know Tim. To me it sounds like you would be operating from a club station using that format as opposed to being a club member located at your own base/mobile station. :confused:

"With" and "at" have two different meanings. Got any better ideas, though?

Was wondering how the club call would be used?.
Our local club call (VK2AFY) is used whilst txing from the club shack but as w9wdx is a net based club how will this call be used?.

I dunno exactly what you mean by "w9wdx is a net based club ", W9WDX is a valid club callsign, just like (say) W1AW.

well, it depends on what the w9wdx club policy regarding the call usage is.

as far as the LEGAL factors are, they are clearly stated in 97.119 (c).
you can add (almost) anything before or after a / sign

I often operate as : W6OI/mycall every 10 min: 97.119 (c)
or as W6OI and then my call every HOUR: 97.119 (d)

One special event I'd like to to is activate a couple of SOTA peaks around here. We have some of the tallest peaks in North America and most of them have never been operated from. I'm thinking that new KX3 and a Buddipole on top of say, Mt. San Jacinto would be a fun club special event.

I would be game for that... There also a few peaks and grids here just N of PHX by me that has been discussed with another operator in my area to do the same thing go up on quads and camp for the night... Already planned just need a date for it ....

I know these spots probably have not been worked either....

at one time I was the Trustee Of the CVARC, Central Valley Amateur Radio Club in Ca, we applied for and got the club call KF6FCF.
We used to sign with the Club call, then our call.

This is KF6FCF/ KE6LYU
Voice:
KF6FCF stroke KE6LYU.....Never seamed to be a problem doing it that way.

Jeff

at one time I was the Trustee Of the CVARC, Central Valley Amateur Radio Club in Ca, we applied for and got the club call KF6FCF.
We used to sign with the Club call, then our call.

This is KF6FCF/ KE6LYU
Voice:
KF6FCF stroke KE6LYU.....Never seamed to be a problem doing it that way.

Jeff

I've recently heard special events stations using a club call that was no where near where the op was located. They called excatly as Jeff said above. They called with the club call and then gave their own occassionally as the actual operator.

I used to operate WA4ZUA, the navy club station on CINCLANT in Norfolk, but I was physically at the loacation while doing so. Not sure what the rules are for a club station that exists at one location and 95% of it's members/operators are located in other states.

I believe you only use the club call when you are present and operating the club station. When I'd be operating the Vegas High ARC station many years ago, when I'd call CQ it would be "CQ CQ - this is K7HYP, Las Vegas Nevada calling CQ...".

Then, after a QSO started, I might say "This is K7HYP, with K7KBN at the mike."

The station that's actually on the air (in this case K7HYP) is the one that needs to be identified. If, after I started the QSO, I turned the mike over to another operator and headed out to my car, I could join the QSO as K7KBN/mobile as I drove home - I wouldn't need to identify as "K7HYP with K7KBN at the mike" because it would be MY station being identified.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.