• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to dim LED on new General Lee?

I thought that the light could be dimmed too. A freind of mine bought a connex 3300hp and I thought he said that cb shop offered to dim the light for him .The strykers have an external dimmer switch. I wonder how that works. The following is cut from an article from the address posted above I thought it was interesting, a long article but informative........

Dimming — The Good, The Bad And The Plain Ugly
Like any other lighting fixture used in a performance environment, the intensity, or brightness, must be controllable from zero to full. Unlike incandescent lamps, LED fixtures don't need external dimmers. Just like automated lights, they require fixed power and a control signal, typically plain DMX.

Surprisingly, not all manufacturers of LED lights have figured out how to smoothly control the intensity. In some cases, the control characteristics of the individual colors can vary, resulting in a shift in color when the LED light fades in and out. Perhaps this is indicative of the fast nature of the LED lighting business. Many companies are entering the field, but few have a good understanding of what the users really value. Anyway, it's perfectly possible to design a cost effective control and drive circuit that controls the intensity of the LEDs in a smooth consistent way.

And as with automated lights, never plug an LED into a dimmer. There's more than a fair chance it will be permanently damaged. LED dimming is not yet standardized by ESTA or other industry working groups. It'll take some time before this will happen, and so you really need to test drive the lights to make up your mind if the dimming is good enough for your application.
Once again this article is cut from.....[url=http://livedesignonline.com/mag/led_lighting_demystified/]

rachet_jaw said:
Any tips on how to put a variable or maybe even a Low / High switch in a General Lee? Love those blue leds, but they are a rough on the eyes at night. :shock:

Sure wish connex and general would get off their lazy butts and offer some tech support for their own products.

To dim the channel display locate jumper J303 on the channel display pcb and replace it with a 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistor.

Bright enough for day time and not too piercing at night.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galaxy/dx33hp/dx33hp_ch-sel_pcb.htm

Merry Christmas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.