• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to encrypt voice on 8DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Proof positive you do not understand how radios operate. Whether or not a radio is encrypted the transmission can be heard on a non-encrypted radio even if it is heard as a data stream. It will still interfere with other users. They may not understand what is being said but the transmission will still be heard.

You have been told how to do it properly. You didn't like the answers.

The last line sums it up nicely. You come here asking for illegal advice in order to do God knows what and expect people to help you, people that have a license at stake? Glad you don't care what people think about you because I guarantee it is not flattering. Do what you want to. Evidently you plan to go ahead and do it anyway just don't expect anyone to aid and abet.
That is what says it all . . .

first of all i never claimed to understand in detail how anything works, and thank you for confirming that encrypted radios cannot be heard by others, I couldn't care less if anyone hears a stream of data, as long as nobody can read it

I did NOT say they cannot be heard by others. I said the audio can not be understood by others. There is a difference.....a BIG difference.

so from what ive read, the encryption should be done on the computer using a data cable, does anyone know if the yaesu software has the feature or would i need a 3rd party software?

Encryption is a method of concealing the information being transmitted and has NOTHING to do with a computer nor is a computer required. The radio being used MUST have the ability to encrypt and decrypt on it's own unless you plan to dedicate a computer to EACH radio being used.

oh and last, i think i was pretty clear on what i was gonna use it for, rather tell me if the dual channel works as i think it does, and could someone explain why yaesu i want to buy has quad channel? manual says by default its in dual mode, what could i do with 4?

All you said was to make a few transmissions to another car. Traveling on vacation? Offering a protection detail? Planning to commit a crime? Who knows what. Most responsible people with a license to protect become very suspicious of others that want to encrypt their transmissions. Normal chit-chat has no need for encryption and if all you want is the ability to talk illegally on an unlicensed frequency that is used by others and not want them understanding what you are saying and couldn't care less about others than all I have to say is good luck looking for someone to help you. Not a lot of people are willing to help someone with a fuck-you attitude.

...and your just a show off.

I typically ignore these type of posts. I may be wrong, but I've seen similar posts in the past from users in the middle east and elsewhere asking similar questions.

I'm not going to provide information such as this, including modifying radios for out of band transmit. This dude even mentions Ukraine.

Since I don't know whose flag these dudes fly, I keep to myself.

I did NOT say they cannot be heard by others. I said the audio can not be understood by others. There is a difference.....a BIG difference.
I dont know what you are trying to argue here, that's exactly what I said, i am happy about the fact they cannot understand my audio, whatever they hear will be brief and confusing, that's all anyone needs to know

Encryption is a method of concealing the information being transmitted and has NOTHING to do with a computer nor is a computer required. The radio being used MUST have the ability to encrypt and decrypt on it's own unless you plan to dedicate a computer to EACH radio being used.
oh that's good to know, thank you for the info, I clearly need to do more research though

All you said was to make a few transmissions to another car. Traveling on vacation? Offering a protection detail? Planning to commit a crime? Who knows what. Most responsible people with a license to protect become very suspicious of others that want to encrypt their transmissions. Normal chit-chat has no need for encryption and if all you want is the ability to talk illegally on an unlicensed frequency that is used by others and not want them understanding what you are saying and couldn't care less about others than all I have to say is good luck looking for someone to help you. Not a lot of people are willing to help someone with a fuck-you attitude.

Since I will be operating without a license, encrypting is just a precaution in case anyone gets tempted to report me and pinpoint my location from our conversations, nothing else, nothing sinister, I've read about how territorial you guys are.

You know whats funny, I have Motorola Radius CP200 on my hands, 4 channels, nothing fancy, used, built like a tank, will probably sell it, anyway, its user manual is 140 pages long, while yaesu 8DR is 180 pages long with all its complexity, all the motorola has is 2 knobs, and 3 buttons, and tricolor LED

anyway, just read that Yaesu 8DR does indeed come with an encrypter, only thing i don't understand about PRIVATE LINE CODES, the motorola on hand has 42 standard TPL codes and 84 standard digital codes maximize options.

the yaesu only has the analog of motorolas standard digital codes, which is called DCS - Digital code squelch, and since I won't be using repeaters, there are 110(?) possible encryptions from what I can grasp thus far, and instruction manual explains it so well, so now I only need to find out if my $300 Motorola will support the encryption, if not i will throw it out or sell it and buy something that will support it.

...and your just a show off.

I typically ignore these type of posts. I may be wrong, but I've seen similar posts in the past from users in the middle east and elsewhere asking similar questions.

I'm not going to provide information such as this, including modifying radios for out of band transmit. This dude even mentions Ukraine.

Since I don't know whose flag these dudes fly, I keep to myself.

That might be a good point as DHS takes the illegal export of regulated information technology as personal liability.

anyway, just read that Yaesu 8DR does indeed come with an encrypter, only thing i don't understand about PRIVATE LINE CODES, the motorola on hand has 42 standard TPL codes and 84 standard digital codes maximize options.

the yaesu only has the analog of motorolas standard digital codes, which is called DCS - Digital code squelch, and since I won't be using repeaters, there are 110(?) possible encryptions from what I can grasp thus far, and instruction manual explains it so well, so now I only need to find out if my $300 Motorola will support the encryption, if not i will throw it out or sell it and buy something that will support it.

You have much to learn. PL tones and DCS codes are NOT encryption nor do they make your conversation private to other people.

PL (Private Line) and DCS codes are a type of squelch. What it does is allow you to only hear transmissions that have the same PL/DCS as you are using. However, anyone on frequency can still hear your transmissions regardless if they listen with PL/DCS turned off.

Why go through the trouble of using an amateur radio illegally with no license, and trying to use encryption that DOES NOT exist on ANY amateur radio? The only way you'll get encryption is with an expensive commercial digital radio. Period. There's no magic chip that plugs into an amateur radio and makes it encrypted.

I think you're a troll, having a good laugh at stirring up the pot here. But if you are for real, then what you really need to do is activate High Scrambled Wave Encryption like W-T-F said. That should work pretty well for super secret illegal encrypted transmissions.

Igor, Motorola's Private Line (PL) tone and the Digital Code Squelch (DCS) have nothing to do with encrypting your transmission. All they do is add a tone or code to your transmission for the receiving party, so the receiving party sets their radio to block all signals that do not have this tone or code. It works well when there is other traffic that you want to block out so you can still have comms with your party. It does not prevent others from setting the same code (which some radios can automatically find) or just turning the feature off and hearing everything anyway.

Also, any Off The Shelf (OTS) encryption technology you can buy is going to be just as readily available to anyone else. You will likely be able to hide from most casual users, but there are often many fanatic operators that will have all the commercial technology at hand, and their sole purpose, their drive, thrill, is to hunt you down and get you busted! Also, direction finding technology today is advanced enough that your position can be determined with just a few signal samples to within ~15 meters and as close as a few meters with more samples - and signal samples occur several thousand per second.

If your objective is secure and reliable communications with your family, then you should look elsewhere. If your objective is something else, well, you're still barking up the wrong tree... You might as well just buy a CB with a voice inversion module.

On the off chance you are not a troll, this is what you need to buy. They are spread spectrum so nobody will be able to listen, license free and cheaper than a quad band radio.

http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00525ZR8I/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00525ZR8I&linkCode=as2&tag=oldgrossurstu-20

Your link doesn't work, but I think this is what you meant to link to:
Amazon.com: Motorola DTR550 Portable Digital Radio: Car Electronics

And YES! This is exactly what the original poster needs. This is LEGAL to use, CHEAPER, and very difficult to monitor.

Now this is of course if the OP is using them in the US. I'm not sure about the legality of using 900 MHz in other countries, but I know for a fact that no matter where you are in the world, using the ham bands without a license is not legal - and some countries do not have the same band plan as the US. Meaning a frequency you use in the US that's a ham radio frequency could be a military or police frequency in another country.

Your link doesn't work, but I think this is what you meant to link to:
Amazon.com: Motorola DTR550 Portable Digital Radio: Car Electronics

And YES! This is exactly what the original poster needs. This is LEGAL to use, CHEAPER, and very difficult to monitor.

Now this is of course if the OP is using them in the US. I'm not sure about the legality of using 900 MHz in other countries, but I know for a fact that no matter where you are in the world, using the ham bands without a license is not legal - and some countries do not have the same band plan as the US. Meaning a frequency you use in the US that's a ham radio frequency could be a military or police frequency in another country.

Yeah, I fixed the link I think.

Since it is 900mhz spread spectrum in the ISM band, and the ISM band is used for such stuff pretty much everywhere, he should be good to go. The nature of the spread spectrum means even if thee are other users they likely won't even know he is there.

You, sir, are a dumb fuck.

Hi everyone, I will be traveling in summer with family and I wanted to buy a pair of handheld radios for communication, we don't have licenses and won't get them, I used to work as EMT and have experience talking to MARS, but I don't have time or will to go through the trouble. Anyway so that we do not mess up anyone's transmissions over longer distances I was thinking of using voice encryption, college I attended had encrypted voice on all 4 bands they used

I need help getting the instructions on how to encrypt the voice for privacy issues as well as I don't want to interfere with military. (Country I go to hardly uses radios for emergencies, they use any frequency they want one time when I used regular walkie with 14 channels I got yelled at by police over the radio and another time by military, I don't want that to happen again, and if you're curious what country's military uses civilian band - Ukraine, though walkies were American )

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.