• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how would you clean a silver plated coil?

Tarn-X

Worked Great in my Henry

(y) I have used that on a lot of silver/silver plate and it works great. You don't need a shiny bright surface BTW. A dull gray is fine. In fact usually cleaning a silver plated coil is just because it makes you feel better making it look pretty. Unless the tarnish is in a contact surface like relay contacts there is no need to clean it. Silver oxide is very conductive. I have used silver coils that were black with tarnish at power levels up to 10 w without any issues whatsoever. They do look nice all shined up thought don't they? (y)

Reactions: 1 person
FX: When it comes to Silver, Gold or copper plating on equipment, I was in my earlier years under the myth "Shinny" was better.
Then having done the removed to much and damaged the plating, I have changed my thinking somewhat.

Every time you clean and make "pretty" you remove material. I now rethink cleaning a entire piece and just "touch-up" the points where the connections are critical...
I'm guessing your cleaning an antenna coil or roller inductor?
The cleaning of any type of roller coil you have to remember the core can be contaminated also with the cleaning agent. The case in point ceramic or Mica will retain some of this regardless of how much rinsing you do.
Most cleaning agents like TarnX, contain acid, and even with through rinsing some of it remains and can continue "eating" away material overtime.
I have used good old Isopropyl Alcohol and Qtips more times than anything of late. then burnish the connection ends lightly with a Scotch brite pad or 00 steel wool...I only use steel wool when the component is out of the equipment due to leaving anything inside that may harm other connection points...clean dry air can remove 99% of left overs....
More later...gotta go!
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Naysayer
I use Ballistol on my Palstar's rollers. It keeps tarnish from forming and provides some lubrication. I regularly run 1200 + watts SSB/ 300+ AM through it with no problems such as heating, arcing, etc.

Just my 2-cents and what works for me..

IF you can get the coil out of where ever it is, try this. Find a glass container deep enough to hold that coil. line the inside of that container wi a sheet of aluminum foil. Then, fill it with water and some baking soda (Arm and Hammer) no idea how much but not a lot. Dip that coil in that container and touch some part of that silver coil to the aluminum foil. You'll be surprised at what happens. It really does clean the silver. Not on coils, but I've done that for silverware a lot.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.