• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 Amplified Mic

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Can anyone provide positive assistance regarding purchasing a very good power mic for my HR2510.?

I have one already on it but its over 15 years old and is quite rusty and it works good, nice strong audio and so forth but its time for an upgrade.

Any good idea's.? Must be very powerful and for mobile use

I think for an overall decent sounding MIC the D104-M6B is a great choice. All the ones I have heard always sound good; good audio, clean & clear. I have been running one on my base HR2510 for the last few years, I play around with other MICS & processing gear, but when I am not running that, it’s the D104 hand held. I also run a 2510 in the mobile & I use the same MIC & always get good reports.

The hand held D104-M6B is nowhere near as sensitive as the old desk tops & does not pick up crazy background when set / fine tuned well. But still has good volume & clarity, I think they work very well on the 2510, at least they do for me.

It would be nice if you could try different MICS to see which one works best for you, but I realize that’s not usually an option.

It is a bummer they stopped selling the Astatic 575m6.
I run the 636 in my mobile because it has kinda hot audio with the compressor.
The best thing about the 575m6 was it was adjustable as far as response, and the rest are not.
Bob 85 has some nice mods for these mics
Here are the Frequency response charts for Some of the Astatic Mics
the RD 104E ( lower left)
The 575M6 (upper right)
The 636L ( upper left)
The D104M6 (lower right)

The D104M6 is a great mic if you are not in a noisy mobile environment.

Jeff

Attachments

• rd104e_frequency_resp.gif
    rd104e_frequency_resp.gif
    5 KB · Views: 139
  • 575M6_frequency_resp.gif
    575M6_frequency_resp.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 636l_frequency.gif
    636l_frequency.gif
    5 KB · Views: 136
  • D104_frequency_resp.gif
    D104_frequency_resp.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 137
It is a bummer they stopped selling the Astatic 575m6.
I run the 636 in my mobile because it has kinda hot audio with the compressor.
The best thing about the 575m6 was it was adjustable as far as response, and the rest are not.
Bob 85 has some nice mods for these mics Here are the Frequency response charts for Some of the Astatic Mics
the RD 104E ( lower left)
The 575M6 (upper right)
The 636L ( upper left)
The D104M6 (lower right)

The D104M6 is a great mic if you are not in a noisy mobile environment.

Jeff

Not meaning to hi-Jack but what does Bob 85 do to make thses ics even better? I might be interested? Thanks

OK...I found the threads...looks like he mods the 636 mics...

Last edited:
Ok as sopmeone who has owned a President Lincoln since my RCI 2950 was stolen and a person that for the two years I apprenticed at that electronic repair shop prob. aligned at least 100 2510,2600's and my Lincoln and a 3 of my best friends owned these radio's back when I was an RCI2950 owner I have heard a lot of this chasis! I have heard them with everything from stock mike to Heil's to old Carbon Mikes like the Astatic Ugly Stick mic I think it was!!! LOL I even knew a guy that used his D104 Golden Eagle which my boss modified with better higher gain lower noise components in his mobil! I kid you not!

So started with the cheapest decent power mic that sounded good on this radio! The old D140 M6 I have not heard or owned or worked on one of the newer models. I hear that Astatic really killed the D104 M6 with the redesign and the cheaper and totally different non-crystal mic element and different amplifer circuit etc..... Since I do not know how these newer unit's compare I would not recommend it!

The next cheap widelya vailable and decent sounding power mic is the Current Ceramic Element RF Unlimited Power Mic which has no noise toy's, no echo, no talk back, no reverb or anything else in it!

I like the Heil Handi Mic series I would contact the DX Store and see which one they would recomend today for that unit. Also ask about the Heil iCM it is for Pre Pro series Icoms that had low gain front ends and has higher then normal drive levels. Since the HR2510 use's low level am modulation this might be a good choice for it but this was not on the market last time I was looking for a mic so I am not sure on it. The one I herd a lot of was very similar to what they call the Pro 30. I doubt I would want to use a Pro 30 though inside a mobil application!

The best sound I have ever herd from Hr2510 2600 and Lincon units has usualy been some combo of noise canceling non-amplified mic along with a speech processor like the SP1-a. I have an SP1-a in mine and it sounds fantastic no matter if I am on AM or SSB. I am thinking about trying this unit though.

VoiceMax Transceiver Speech Processor

Does any of those mobile mics have 2 sliders.?

My 575 has a slider on each side for vol and tone

I wouldn't change a thing there CSW, keep that mic. Pop out the screen and sand blast it some spray paint and your good to go. Mines I just sprayed some black paint, its still working like a champ!!! Keep that mic.

I wouldn't change a thing there CSW, keep that mic. Pop out the screen and sand blast it some spray paint and your good to go. Mines I just sprayed some black paint, its still working like a champ!!! Keep that mic.

found an old 575 my friend modded many years ago. changed out the 9v to a different type of battery, removed the screen, and did a couple of other things to it.

never thought about repainting it, though.

might go down to ranger city one thur nite and see if i can trade some of my old mikes i no longer use for someone's used wil 5k or something. want to get back into radio, without all of the car mods this time.

van's our beater, but still a daily driver so i don't want to poof the roof or throw in a bunch of batteries.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.