• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 Increase Output.?

cswguy

Jun 13, 2011
Oshawa Ontario Canada
www.youtube.com
Would anyone happen to know how to increase the radio SSB output without cutting or removing anything.? I know there is something i can turn to increase SSB wattage but im not sure.

Please i need someone who knows these radios and is willing to help.?

Rogerbirds pages do not help me as they require cutting or soldering.

HELP PLEASE

OK, the info is there in the links posted.

http://www.kb2ljj.com/Manuals/22-cb-radios/HR-2510%20Mods.pdf

Look at Step Number 10 in the section about increasing the power output of the Hr2510

With out any real test equipment about all you can do is look for VR 104 that controls the ALC ( Automatic Level Control for SSB ) and Adjust it for Max output while modulating the radio While saying auuuudddddiiiiooooooo into the mic, crude, but that is about all you can do with out a tone generator
that and a good power mic is about all you are going to get.
Really, if you want any more than that requires some surgery, and in the long run, you would be better off putting a small amp behind the radio and not messing with it.
The 2510/2600/Lincoln radios are good rigs, you can not get them anymore, the ones you do find for sale now have often been butchered, and it is really best to leave them alone and just run them the way they are.

This might not be what you wanted to hear, but that is about it.
It is a good radio, take care of it and it will serve you well.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N and Rogerbird1
The worst thing you can do on those radios is increase the power be it via alc for ssb or am/fm carrier for am/fm.

the final output transistor in those radios was the mrf 477 which is now discontinued and highly faked, not to mention extortionate if you can source one, the commonly used/factory installed on a small sub board replacement the mrf 455 is also on the verge of extinction and getting pricier.

best thing you can do is run it at 10w am/fm 21w ssb or less and barring normal wear and tear it will last a very long time.

even if you were to increase the power to the limit of the final device you'd be lucky to increase gain by about 3db, which is barely noticeable at the receive end, chances are by the time you reach that power gain you'll be splattering shit everywhere too, so in reality you've gained next to nothing, dirtied your output and put a very overpriced/rare component under major stress.

is it worth it?

This is some great and the best advice you have been given here and I agree with all of it. I love the 2510 they are great and rock solid radios if not abused. I would put a small amplifier behind it a small palomar 225 or of the alike.

tecnicoloco Posted:

Buy an external amp to increase talk power

AudioShockwav Posted:
you would be better off putting a small amp behind the radio and not messing with it.

AudioShockwav Posted:
it is really best to leave them alone and just run them the way they are.

jazzsinger Posted:
The worst thing you can do on those radios is increase the power be it via alc for ssb or am/fm carrier for am/fm.

the final output transistor in those radios was the mrf 477 which is now discontinued and highly faked, not to mention extortionate if you can source one, the commonly used/factory installed on a small sub board replacement the mrf 455 is also on the verge of extinction and getting pricier.

best thing you can do is run it at 10w am/fm 21w ssb or less and barring normal wear and tear it will last a very long time.

Tony V 225 Posted:
This is some great and the best advice you have been given here and I agree with all of it.

I love the 2510 they are great and rock solid radios if not abused. I would put a small amplifier behind it a small palomar 225 or of the alike.

Not trying to be a total butt head here, but this is all great advise!
In another thread you said you just got a Texas Star DX 500 V
That is a WONDERFUL amp to run behind this radio.

And as tecnicoloco Posted,

a high drive amp will be ideal for your situation,no cutting,no modding inside,just plug in the coax jumper betewen your radio an amp and there you go...............

How Do you Copy?
Over??

Really, REALLY
You have a radio ( a nice radio, a radio that others would like to have, and radio that by some is considered a LEGEND in the ten meter/freeband world) that is Not made anymore
There are VERY few Parts to repair it if it gets hacked up
You better have a friggin Platinum Card If you want it repaired because YOU ran it to hard.

Please the rest of us have lost a lot of sleep and are having nightmares dreaming about a 2510 sitting on a desk somewhere with smoke coming out of the cases as the heat sink on the back glows a dull red and the display melts, while Doctor Death sits in the corner of the room, surrounded by evil demons all cackling with evil smiles as the ghosts of Marconi, Tesla and others hang from the ceiling on ropes of razor wire dripping blood into the boiling cauldron of burning hot oil below them...

Sleep deprived Jeff

Attachments

• group_of_smiley_faces_with_big_rabbit_teeth.jpg
    group_of_smiley_faces_with_big_rabbit_teeth.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 1
I know this is an old thread, but my message is along these lines... I have an old President Lincoln (original version, Euro import). Single MRF477 final. I can get it to do about 20 w SSB. On AM it runs best about 3-4w key w/25w pep modulated. When I look at it on the scope, I can see the mod beginning to flat top around 23w. looks like I'm running out of headroom somewhere. I haven't looked upstream to see if it's the driver, etc. Before I waste much time on it, what power output do most folks typically see from an unmodified rig? I've adjusted the bias on the driver & final, adjusted the mic gain and alc.

Dave

Piling On the old thread .... there was a power mod advertised for this radio back in the day. Replace the final with a Motorola ??? Can't remember the number but it was like a MRF 497 or something (it could be looked up) Is a 40 or 45 watt final and when installed and slight adjustments made in the TX Tuning Circuit, you could see the 40-45 watt output which was an increase from the factory 25 watts. I performed this on one that I had and it worked fine. To increase AM modulation, clip the ALC Limiter transistor and add a decent power mic. Had a Turner +3 on mine using as a base and after the above mods, had the loudest best sounding 2510 in the area.

Piling On the old thread .... there was a power mod advertised for this radio back in the day. Replace the final with a Motorola ??? Can't remember the number but it was like a MRF 497 or something (it could be looked up) Is a 40 or 45 watt final and when installed and slight adjustments made in the TX Tuning Circuit, you could see the 40-45 watt output which was an increase from the factory 25 watts. I performed this on one that I had and it worked fine. To increase AM modulation, clip the ALC Limiter transistor and add a decent power mic. Had a Turner +3 on mine using as a base and after the above mods, had the loudest best sounding 2510 in the area.
It is an MRF 455. Check out this document. If you actually do this let us know. I am interested in how it turns out as well as if this document has any errors in it. I have an original Lincoln. I also have a 455 but I have not taken the time to do anything with it. Truth is, I kinda don't want to mod the radio. That is unless someone said that it was an amazing outcome. I think the radio is terrific as is.

Best of luck!!

Attachments

• President Lincoln - HR 2510 Final Upgrade.pdf
    393.7 KB · Views: 20

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.